Switching from toilet to carburetor

Old 12-02-2007, 09:47 AM
gdmii
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by bjuice
there is more than one way do this alcohol to carb thing
Amen! But I'm afraid you'll have a hard time convincing Don of that fact.

George

P.S. Pay no attention to the times in my signature as that performance is with an electric pump which the "experts" say won't work.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:50 AM
topsportsman1
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

George knows
Old 12-02-2007, 10:16 AM
davis419b
EXPERT BUILDER

OK Guys.... All you have to do is explain to me why when you order a Ruperts fuel system it comes with a Enderle belt drive pump and when you order a Bolaws fuel system it comes with a Bolaws belt drive pump with a built in REGULATOR and no return line needed! They both can make thier carbs work with electric pumps but when you ask them what is best they will tell you a mechanical pump. I am a bracket racer who races 4 to 6 races a month and all i am concerned with is what is most consistant, not about the cost.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:26 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by davis419b
OK Guys.... All you have to do is explain to me why when you order a Ruperts fuel system it comes with a Enderle belt drive pump and when you order a Bolaws fuel system it comes with a Bolaws belt drive pump with a built in REGULATOR and no return line needed! They both can make thier carbs work with electric pumps but when you ask them what is best they will tell you a mechanical pump. I am a bracket racer who races 4 to 6 races a month and all i am concerned with is what is most consistant, not about the cost.
I laugh at all the guys with electric fuel pumps breaking at the track. One day I seen 4 different pumps being put on a car all new all junk !! I want something I know wont break on my car, when the seals/bearings/motors go out in your electric pumps in a few years mine will be going strong. I wont disagree they cant work because I've been there done it on several setups just know what last/works for me and several others doing the change over.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:35 AM
gdmii
MASTER BUILDER

Well Don, you and I have been down this road before. My point then and my point now is that what is best for you is not necessarily best for me and vice versa. When I had a carb converted by Rupert he knew it was going to be used with an electric pump. He didn't tell me it wouldn't work.

There are several reasons one may choose to not run a belt drive pump. Is an electric any less consistant? Not according to my experience. If cost is not an issue then by all means go buy the most expensive thing out there. I don't operate on a shoestring budget but I feel my car is as consistant as the next guy's.

There is almost always more than one way of doing things and I have always maintained that the best way is the way that works for you.

George
Old 12-02-2007, 10:43 AM
gdmii
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by hammertime
I want something I know wont break on my car
That part hasn't been made yet David and probably never will. You know, I have never laughed at another racer's misfortune. That attitude always seemed smart alecky to me. Where I come from if a racer breaks we jump in and help him. Not stand back and laugh at him. I guess it's a maturity thing.

George
Old 12-02-2007, 12:04 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

My thoughts is you tell them electrics are going to break with the alky and when they go that route and then ask for your help you laugh at them !!
Old 12-02-2007, 12:08 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

quote]

P.S. Pay no attention to the times in my signature as that performance is with an electric pump which the "experts" say won't work.[/quote]

I dont think it was said they wouldnt work, I think it was said it doesnt work as well as the mech pumps. I've used electric on a lot more motor then the one you have. It works ... they just wont last doing it !!!

You ever seen the energizer bunny commercial ... thats kinda like a belt drive set up ... they just keep going .. and going .. and going !!! :lol:
Old 12-02-2007, 12:21 PM
gdmii
MASTER BUILDER

Most things with a rubber seal in it will leak...eventually. Preventive maintenance in the off season will take care of most of that. I've had them leak on alky and I've had them leak on gas. Either way, 20 minutes and $10 later they were running again for another 2 years. Belt pumps, yes, I've had guys tell me they've run them for 8 years or more with no problems and that's great. Does that mean I'm going to run out and buy one? No. So there is a difference in how long they last but they both seem to work equally well when properly setup. Do you know how much stuff I would have to change just to run a belt drive pump?? More than I want to mess with right now. Again, everyone has their own reasons for running what they run. But as long as they run and run well, who gives a rip.

George
Old 12-02-2007, 12:51 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

dang George !! ..i am confused!!..HOW MANY TIMES does this thing need to be spelled out ?....its a preference...AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE ??..or maybe i am getting so old i don't get it as fast !!! :roll:

i like strawberry ice cream you like pecan ice cream...ok...so its still freakin ice cream.....

i have not been laughed at yet..but i guess there will be a 1st time down the road...

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -