carb spacers

Old 02-02-2008, 09:18 PM
SPEEDNEEDS1
SENIOR BUILDER

I have a 468 edelbrock 315 square port heads, .722-.722 roller cam, 13.3 compression. I have a few options of a intake for this engine,what do you all think I should go with. 4150 series on gas????
Old 02-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

what do you guys think about those funnel shaped 2 inch spacers that adapt a dominator onto a 4150 intake? I have a 454-r made for a 4150 but use the adaptor to mount the dominator. Was wondering if I needed to change it...looks like the funnel would help pick up the air velocity.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:51 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by SPEEDNEEDS1
I have a 468 edelbrock 315 square port heads, .722-.722 roller cam, 13.3 compression. I have a few options of a intake for this engine,what do you all think I should go with. 4150 series on gas????

Pro Products intake IMO would be great for this combo. I've used these intakes they are cheap and castings do need some touch up work but they are proven and work good.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:54 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74
what do you guys think about those funnel shaped 2 inch spacers that adapt a dominator onto a 4150 intake? I have a 454-r made for a 4150 but use the adaptor to mount the dominator. Was wondering if I needed to change it...looks like the funnel would help pick up the air velocity.
I've actually tried this on a 4500 Super Victor intake to a 4150 carb thought it ran good untill I got tired of looking at the spacer and changed to a Victor JR. Picked up almost .08 on the track. Even better I put a dart/wilson on after that and picked up another .04-.05 I was shocked. Figured I was getting the funnel affect and it would help it also but guess not.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:38 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by hammertime
I've actually tried this on a 4500 Super Victor intake to a 4150 carb thought it ran good untill I got tired of looking at the spacer and changed to a Victor JR. Picked up almost .08 on the track. Even better I put a dart/wilson on after that and picked up another .04-.05 I was shocked. Figured I was getting the funnel affect and it would help it also but guess not.
I only used it because that was the intake that I already had...I have no trouble buying a new one if I thought it would run better.

Do you think maybe the victor junior was just a better manifold for your motor or do you think it was removing the spacer that helped? I was thinking a Super Victor would be good on my 540 but I only wind it to 7000 so didn't want to go too big with the intake.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:47 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by hammertime
I only used it because that was the intake that I already had...I have no trouble buying a new one if I thought it would run better.

Do you think maybe the victor junior was just a better manifold for your motor or do you think it was removing the spacer that helped? I was thinking a Super Victor would be good on my 540 but I only wind it to 7000 so didn't want to go too big with the intake.
I think the victor jr was just good on my small block. Now my 548 I had a sonny's brodix on and switched to a super victor (it was a td block and I wanted to get rid of spacers) and it slowed down .05 in the 1/4. I'd of love to tried a 454R on my motor I am sure it'd of been the best intake for the job. I think you'll find the same with your motor, speaking with several on these super victors it seems they like 565 and above or very healthy 540/555. The 454R seems to be what is being used a lot on 540's now they are a nice intake and you can normally pick one up here on RJ used for the right price. $125-150 I paid $90.00 for mine off ebay.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:24 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

i switched to a 454r from TEAM G on my 511CI..but i also had plentum work done ( shortening the two front runners etc..) also had the ports gasket matched etc...very noticable difference in the pedal..can't say how much it picked up the car cause i can't keep the front wheels on the ground without the wheelie bars on car...lol :shock: ....the wheelie bars are now bolted on and ready for next trip.

i would suggest getting the ports gasket matched at minimum as i would suggest with any intake..

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 02-06-2008, 05:02 PM
topcat572
MASTER BUILDER

Default Adapter

In 1996 I sent my 4150 Dart intake to Shafirof to be ported and fitted for a dominator for my 572 . When I received it it had the adapter, I freaked. Anyway I was told to send it back and they would cut a big hole in the top to direct mount the 4500 carb and lose power. It works for us( I think) but this is all I ran. One thing for sure, there is extensive port work on the adapter and the top of the intake where they are blended together, thats 11 yrs ago, and now I see a lot of others doing it to,(Reher Morrison) funnel ram for one, good luck.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:35 PM
cncmotorsports
MASTER BUILDER

Default Re: carb spacers

Originally Posted by prostreethauling
:? I have a 454 .030 over running 11.7:1 compression .660 /.666 solid roller comp cam , pro 1 345 heads , victor jr. 454r intake, 850 carb reworked by pro systems with a 1" open spacer . The torque is low do to the big heads but I want to keep them and upgrade to a 540 someday but need to make them work on my 454 for now. Should I not run a spacer or run a 4 hole spacer like a wilson taper spacer and are they worth the money. Thanks.
Dyno the engine, we some engines on our dyno loose power with the spacers. Yet some engine pick up power. The only way to tell for sure is dyno the engine, every combination is different.