why would a carburator start burning my eyes???????

Old 10-30-2011, 05:47 PM
coloradoracerguy
SENIOR BUILDER

So how much effect does adjusting the idle mixture screws have? At what point can you get the engine to stumble/die? Is it only rich at idle, or is it rich at part throttle and going down track? Trying to get it narrowed down as to where it's fat. My guess is something is blocked or stuck open. While you have it apart, make sure to blow out EVERY passage in the carb with carb cleaner and blow it dry with air.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:28 PM
billyd21970
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

all rmp ranges.its just burns your eyes and takes you breath.it will leave black marks on the ground where its sitting running.they say going down the track its blowing a little black smoke from it.its just wierd that it just got worse and worse.it was good when i first got the car going?
Old 11-02-2011, 07:29 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Have you changed the spark plugs since you got it running, and what gap are you running? You might want to go 1 step hotter on the plugs, also run the gap about .026/.028 Alcohol eats plugs pretty fast.

Just a thought.

Zip.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:49 PM
coloradoracerguy
SENIOR BUILDER

Time to take the carb off and take it apart. You need to inspect EVERYTHING. From the sounds of things, you're leaking fuel internally, but no way to be sure until you check. Pull all bleeds and everything else out and blow everything out with carb cleaner then air. Somewhere fuel is getting in and it shouldn't be.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:44 AM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

Make sure the timing is locked to full advance, and you are running a plug heat range equivalent to an NGK7 and not colder. Timing should fall from 34-37 if they are Iron Bowties, 1-2 more with aluminum.
Old 08-26-2022, 03:14 AM
murrayjest
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Do you have fuel coming out of the boosters while idling? What are the idle mixture screw set at? What is your initial timing?

Last edited by Harbone; 10-08-2022 at 04:35 AM.