Let's make this list shorter

Old 05-04-2008, 01:16 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

well im one man that dont mind saying i might be wrong. i didnt think you could go wrong with cod . i guess i didnt think it all the way thru. after i read all the replies i see there is alot that can go wrong.i have a pay pal account never used it.i dont think i even know how.but i think i will learn because i see alot of goodies here on rj that i sure could use.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:52 AM
robinhorn
CRAFTSMAN

No what we did was called and got a shipping rate, guess what that is the amount I paid as a deposit. I went to the trucking company and picked it up. They are open 24 hours a day 5 days a week.

If the guy is buying your part and does not want to leave a deposit then good luck. I use paypal for the deposit so if they do not send the part. I file and get my money back.

Remember I sent $225.00 the cost of shipping both ways to protect my $2,500.00 I was about to spend.

I was able to see it before I paid. That's one of the good things about COD with a truck shipping company. UPS will also let you look before you sign. Yeah I know the driver will give you a hard time but stand your ground and you will in the end be able to look if your having it shipped to your house.

When your buying on line your dealing with a screen name bit someone you know. WHY take the risk.

I am a fraud investigator and can tell you I have seen it all and heard even more. I take the safe way or it does not happen. I have helped many people get back money from scammers on here. Anyone remember the Yellow Bus gang.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:05 AM
lano
JUNIOR BUILDER

The UPS guys around here will NEVER let us open a box and inspect it. Once the box is opened, the shipper does NOT have to take it back.

If you used Paypall, then what was the need for COD ? Paypall would have helped protect you, COD or NOT, right.

COD costs extra money, and guarantees nothing.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:59 PM
RonOwensRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

My ups guy and FedEx will not let you open a box before it is paid for i know this for a fact i have asked numerous times and no way will they do it they will put it right back on the truck at least in my area anyway.

And i ship all over the country and out of the us also and let me tell ya when you eat the shipping both ways and you sell on a small profit margin like i do it dont take long until these cod's will eat you alive I'm just about done with cod if i lose a sell over that then i will just have to lose the sell because i have to ad the shipping charges right back into the cost and why should i or my customers have to en cure the cost of someone Else's negligence and not taking there order in the first place.

i do except all types of payments and still i get a lot of people wanting to ship cod but it just is getting to hard to do when you get back as many as i do .

I think you should check on whom ever you are buying from and get all there info also PH# address and person you talked to .

i got burned a couple of years ago for 1800.00 dollars myself so i can understand where you dont want to send your money to a stranger just do a check on them and it may help.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:23 PM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

i've sent parts before by COD and the big thing why i want sell COD is last one i did it took a month after package arrived at buyer before i got my money from UPS. i'm like most;if i sell something it is because i need the money to buy something else.if you got to wait that long to get your money from COD then most of time what you are selling to buy has already got sold to someone else.
NO COD'S FOR ME ANYMORE
as to UPS letting you open a COD package befor paying is a NO-NO;;i know this for sure.i have a good friend that works for them and he told me that if package got open then they would loose there job..i also had a friend got a package by COD and when he open it it was full of newspaper and a brick..he contacted UPS about it and they said that nothing could be done because it was his word against senders word on what was in the box.
PAY-PAL IS BEST SO FARE THAT I'VE FOUND.YOU BOTH HAVE SOME PROTECTION THERE[SENDER AND RECIEVER]
Old 05-04-2008, 02:46 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Colud i have been scammed, probably but i put enough disclaimmers on the ad that i took no chances.

First i list a 55 chevy belair frame off on ebay resto, for $38,000.00 buy it now, i also stated that it was for sale locally, so i reserved the right to remove the ad before it closed.I also stated absolutely no foriegn currency or M.O.s. In the end i wound up selling it locally for $37,000.00 cash, but because i couldn't remove the ad in the last 12 hrs. of the listing ( i didn't know this) all i could do was delete the bids and make a note that it sold locally in the bid history. Ebay showed the item didn't sell, in the end. That night i got the first message from Norway, and this guy showed 130 transactions with 100% positive.

Dear zipper050_3,

I was just going to buy your car if you just had let me inn!!

Bertil Norway overseas

I responded with i had no experience with overseas shipping thats why the disclaimer.

Dear zipper050_3,

My shipping address is in Florida,so it woulden`t bee a problem, But OK sold is sold .Its a shame .Nice car!
Thanks Bert

The next day i talked to a good friend and fellow racer who like robinshorn is a a state investigater for the att. generals office in vehicular fraud. He said damn you could have been lucky, we have at this time 3 cases pending from the Netherlands with bogus M.O.s and the shipping destination is also in Fl.

I would have taken $1,000.00 deposit via paypal, but that was all.

JMO

Zip.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Ok I have a question. I always use pay pal on ebay. When I sell something I immediately transfer the money to my checking account. Lets just for the sake of argument make up a scenario

Say I sell a guy something and he pays through paypal. I transfer the money to my bank account then ship it to him. He decides he don't want it...sends it back...then files a claim with paypal.Paypal told HAMMERTIME that when the guy sends it back before he files a claim he almost always wins. Now here is my question.

If the money is transfered to my checking account already...can paypal pull it out and refund it to the guy?
Old 05-04-2008, 04:26 PM
hollowayshotrods
RACING JUNKIE

I can tell Tod is a Chevy man, asking good questions like that! I would like to know that answer too. I can't imagine they have any authority other than to take listing/store fees out of your account. Man, wouldn*t that piss a guy off!
Old 05-04-2008, 05:48 PM
kslicks
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

The guy you bought the front end from in LA it wasent Buris Glassworks was it? Guys name is Troy? If it is he's the one who got me for shipping to. For more info on him look up Buris Glassworks. Beware!
Old 05-04-2008, 06:58 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74
Ok I have a question. I always use pay pal on ebay. When I sell something I immediately transfer the money to my checking account. Lets just for the sake of argument make up a scenario

Say I sell a guy something and he pays through paypal. I transfer the money to my bank account then ship it to him. He decides he don't want it...sends it back...then files a claim with paypal.Paypal told HAMMERTIME that when the guy sends it back before he files a claim he almost always wins. Now here is my question.

If the money is transfered to my checking account already...can paypal pull it out and refund it to the guy?

Both right and wrong, If there's someting wrong with the item or it was mis-represented in the ad, it goes into mediation involving both parties, including pics. and statements. Not wanting it is not good enough.
However if a seller doesn't send an item in a timely fashion as stated in the ad, by all means paypal has the authority to pull the payment back out of your checking/bank account or if paid for with a credit card they can back bill your credit card for the funds.
I had that happen to me when i bought a fuel pump drive and i paid thru paypal. (cost $110.00)The pump wasn't shipped after 3 weeks i filed a complaint and the guy only had $62.00 in his account and he would not answer paypal. They zero'ed out his account and paid me the $85.00. That was over a yr. ago and the claim to his account is still pending by paypal as un-resolved.
I guess the seller could cancel his ebay account and get away with it though i think it would then go to a collection agency which wouldn't help his credit rating if he had one that was any good.

JMO

Zip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -