nos

Old 07-11-2012, 08:03 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: nos

Originally Posted by mrbigtrucks
looking to possibly spray a stock 5.3 with a 100 shot i have 4.88 gears how will it work ? not looking for 1/4 mile times just looking for a quick street car that can get the job done 30" tire
well come on Now mrbigtrucks, yes I agree you did ask how Nitrous would work with a 488 gear but you said much more then just that one liner.
which opened pandoras box.....see your Original Post above

No -One could possibly answer that question without starting at point A thru point z of nitrous basics. just saying

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 07-12-2012, 06:08 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

That's a given 'round here anyway, kids ! Ask a question and we're gonna take all sorts of side streets ! Par for the course, and most actually learn something new anyway ! I sure do ! Knowledge abounds here !
"Peace, out"
Old 07-12-2012, 04:48 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

yep beast just looking at the options only a Fool dives head first into something without know ALL of his options

Well "mrbigtrucks" or Logan, I just went back and reread some of your first posts and from what I gather you already have a 355 in your '76 camaro, with a comp ratio somewhere between 9.5 and 11 to1? :? With many different parts already on hand. I guess I'm a little confused as to what you are building then.
Sorry if I came across wrong. I guess I'm getting too old to keep up. Carry on.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:07 PM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

hey beast and over the last year or so asked about a bbc he was planning on doing too

from sept last yr
http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtop...216&highlight=
Old 07-14-2012, 10:36 PM
hotrod1994
EXPERT BUILDER

its all good beast i have asked about quite a few combinations i was just looking for hp estimates for some stuff i had "laying around" minus heads cam etc...

right now i have a mild sbc 350 stock bottom end 9.3:1 1.94 heads torker intake and 650dp.... 3200 stall 4.88's and m/t sportsmans right now... 350 hp aint bad but it aint enough

ive got a few blocks and sets of pistons and rings just trying to figure out what to spend the little money i have on just looking at all my options to upgrade but with the millage i get now the 5.3 or 6.0 should work great
but thanks for the help i appreciate it

not to worried about nos ive got a few good buddies that i trust with helping me tune for it... if it blows it blows it happens thats hot rodding and racing

dragonmaster if you would read i said i was looking at my options at the time i could have picked up a 454 2 bolt block for 50 bucks... just a kid trying to get the most bang for littlest buck... but my th350 and 8.5 10 bolt would have needed upgrading so im looking to go another route

- thanks logan
Old 07-15-2012, 02:49 AM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

If you can pickup that 454 block that cheap and it's a good one you could make a few bucks easy.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:30 AM
hotrod1994
EXPERT BUILDER

my buddy had it not sure if he still does ill have to check
Old 07-15-2012, 09:41 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

my buddy had it not sure if he still does ill have to check

ok I read your last Post and I am with you little more then I was..your young and want to know how you can go the quickest for less....right ?...if thats the cae I respect that.

Now the question... what are your expectations as far as how Quick you want to run and when I say run we talking about street car? or drag car 1/8 or 1/4 ? and what kind of car we speaking of ?
Old 07-15-2012, 11:34 AM
hotrod1994
EXPERT BUILDER

more of a street car idk id say for around here by where i live you get your street car into the 11's and your pretty quick and will put a whoopin on most not all but most.... car craft did a 6.0 build they put a carb on, headers and a gmpp hot cam and made 480 hp and got good millage so i like that idea

ive got a 76 camaro id likr to keep my th350 with 3200 stall and my 8.5 rear with 4.88's

im going to look at a 400 block (100 bucks) later for a s10 i picked up from my uncle for a dam good price came with a cage and other junk looking to build it into a drag truck

yep just a kid that wants to learn as much as i can about cars engines etc i know quite a bit, alot more than other kids in my town and can build and fabricate most things but i know theres plenty of things left to learn

thanks- logan
Old 07-15-2012, 12:57 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

logan when I was 16-17 years old I owned several 2nd generation camaro's, drove one to high school...maybe it was a fluke ( I'm sure it was) but here is what I put together with very Little Money and it ran 7.60's in the 1/8th mile on street tires thru the mufflers foot brake. 1980-1981

It was a 350 block ( high nickle material content)..I bought an alliance lifter and camshaft from AUTOSHACK (You would not remember that auto chain)
all I can remember it was a 292 duration around a 480 lift...Hydraulic anitpump up lifters...( long before hydraulic rollers came out for street cars)

I got a set of double hump 300hp heads had them shaved about 20ths just to clean them up...I am guess the compression ratio was 10:1 or slightly higher....ran a converter from a junk yard back then you could find old junk Vega's and use their converters...it will stall about 3500 and would last about a month...we would buy another for $10.00 bucks and put it in....
I stumbled across a tunnel ram with a pair of 465 Holleys..notice not too big on the carbs...ran a 4.11 gear

this car took care of most anything local.......I am sure the set up was a fluke and only a hand full of times you run across a combo that just runs like a bat out of hell. I had no idea what I was putting together...but it worked and was very fast for a 16 yr old..

I have a pump gas 406ci in a 69 camaro right now and it is Very,very QUICK on the street ,,,again nothing fancy...solid lift cam about a 5.10 lift, 3,000 tci stahl,vic jr intake port matched to the heads,just a rough bowl blend with a little work on the heads....remember you do not want a All out port job on your street heads...just enough.

they got so much out Now... I mean you could go out here and buy a 500 hp engine dynoed and ready to go for around the $5,000 range . A True 500hp engine on the street in a small block is more then enough to get the job done..I would peronally stay away from steel headed BBC at this point...the added weight vs. what you would have to spend to over come it would not off set itself cost wise for you.....JMO

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -