going from 4150 to a dom

Old 09-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I am curious about the effects of having too high of octane gas.....
Old 09-07-2009, 04:54 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74
I am curious about the effects of having too high of octane gas.....
Burns too slow, therefore you lose power.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:00 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

Well after changes i made ran the car this weekend with no gains, so my cheap fix didn't work ohhhhhh shit. it was worth a try.

On the subject of whether my carb is to big or to small seems to be a mixed answer as i am getting a 50-50 that it is to big and the other half saying a 1050 dom will pick up the top end........in all i conclude the only way i will find out is to find two carbs a 750 and a dom 1050 and try them and then i will know for sure as i think every motor seems to like something diffrent so there probably is no right answer only way is to try and find out for sure......i got my friends dominator this weekend and was looking at it at home and man it is a old bird with no changeable air bleed, the linkage doesn't have the big hole for my linkage and missing the small hole by the base bolt for my plate for my return springs.......have to figure out how to get it to work as as guy i know is renting the track for the day next week so will be able to make a pile of hits for testing and tuning
Old 09-07-2009, 05:02 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

If it is a factory Dominator, go to the below Holley reference chart and start at factory settings. 1050's range anywhere from 86 to about 93 depending on the metering setup used and which metering block was used. Later Dominators use more emulsion bleeds, metering was also different between 1 and 2 four barrel carbs, the later HP's are even different still. If it is a modified carb, you need to find out what it came with, some do have lower than 86 to get it right. If you can find out more info, I"ll try to help you get it close.

http://www.holley.com/data/TechService/Technical/Carb Numerical Listing.pdf
Old 09-08-2009, 04:14 AM
andybyrd
MASTER BUILDER

If you have the Money then putting it to the test is the best thing to do all I was saying that with the 434 in my car the 1050 did slow it down. and that was what everyone told me it would do but I'm a hard headed Guy. but like I said if you have the money try Both that way you know for sure. If you were taking bets on it I would put my money on the smaller Carb though . either way Best of Luck to you. and post the results we would like to see for future inquiries.
and be Safe.
Andy
Old 09-08-2009, 12:30 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by jmarksdragster
If it is a factory Dominator, go to the below Holley reference chart and start at factory settings. 1050's range anywhere from 86 to about 93 depending on the metering setup used and which metering block was used. Later Dominators use more emulsion bleeds, metering was also different between 1 and 2 four barrel carbs, the later HP's are even different still. If it is a modified carb, you need to find out what it came with, some do have lower than 86 to get it right. If you can find out more info, I"ll try to help you get it close.

http://www.holley.com/data/TechService/Technical/Carb Numerical Listing.pdf
jmark

these are the numbers i got off the carb
12r-8795b
l9375

right now it has front jets 88 and rear 89 that is how he was running it
Old 09-08-2009, 04:44 PM
FullTimeRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

this is from mortec.com

9188 780 (F)72,(R)76 6.5,8.5 4150
9375 1050 (F)92,(R)92 --- 4500HP
9375-1 1050 (F)88,(R)88 --- 4500
9377 1150 (F)94,(R)94 --- 4500
Old 09-08-2009, 06:37 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

That would be a 9375 1050. If it is a non HP and unmolested, you are in luck. It is the best out of the box 1050 Holley made, the middle/intermediate air bleeds should be open, no brass inserts. Jet it 92 square to start, go up from there. If it slows MPH go back down.

If it is a newer HP 9375, start with 86 square. Be aware that the internal metering is not as good as the older Dominator, and needs a little more work to make it behave. Too much emulsion, and way rich down in the low and mid ranges. If you find it loading up in the burnout and cruising, go up on the intermediate air bleeds. You will probably even be able to remove them, just watch the plugs and jet up as needed.

If someone has worked on it, no way to know what's best without looking at all the passages and doing a little measuring.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:59 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by jmarksdragster
That would be a 9375 1050. If it is a non HP and unmolested, you are in luck. It is the best out of the box 1050 Holley made, the middle/intermediate air bleeds should be open, no brass inserts. Jet it 92 square to start, go up from there. If it slows MPH go back down.

If it is a newer HP 9375, start with 86 square. Be aware that the internal metering is not as good as the older Dominator, and needs a little more work to make it behave. Too much emulsion, and way rich down in the low and mid ranges. If you find it loading up in the burnout and cruising, go up on the intermediate air bleeds. You will probably even be able to remove them, just watch the plugs and jet up as needed.

If someone has worked on it, no way to know what's best without looking at all the passages and doing a little measuring.
Yes mark u r right it has no middle air bleeds they are open.....my friend had it on a 498 bbc and it was jetted 88 front and 89 back......u figure that high of jets our air over here in alberta canada is fairly high good air is we get under 4000 da air..........example would be last weekend best air was 4600 feet with 36% humdity............may we get air around 3000 feet for maybe one meet and then in end of sept in the 3000 feet range
Old 09-09-2009, 05:23 PM
fishman1
MASTER BUILDER

Got the carb all hooked up and fired up the car tonight......idles fine and if u give throttle part way responds great but if you hammer it to the floor it just chokes out and just about dies.........so i changed the shooters to a bigger shooter to 37 but still does the same......bowl levels are half way up the sight glass............looked at the carb cams and they are white and in hole one.......is this the right color of cam............it seems to me when u punch it is is starving for fuel..........any ideas would be great as my old carb i know i use black cams

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -