Steering Shaft Help

Old 06-24-2011, 05:35 PM
jjam
CRAFTSMAN

Default Steering Shaft Help

Can you use 3 u-joints in a steering shaft? This is a street car. The shaft will not clear the header unless I add another u-joint. Thanks
Old 06-25-2011, 01:54 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Default yes

You can use as many as you can afford. Just be sure to use the bearing type and not the cheep pinned ones. The way you can tell is the cost on the good ones are about $75.00 each, Flaming river makes the ones I use. I use two 1/8" hardened roll pins on each end of the U joint to connect them to the 3/4" chrome molly tube.
Bruce
Old 06-25-2011, 03:50 AM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: yes

Originally Posted by TopspeedLowet
You can use as many as you can afford. Just be sure to use the bearing type and not the cheep pinned ones. The way you can tell is the cost on the good ones are about $75.00 each, Flaming river makes the ones I use. I use two 1/8" hardened roll pins on each end of the U joint to connect them to the 3/4" chrome molly tube.
Bruce
yep--using junk parts in the steering can have bad affects ops: :wink:
Old 06-25-2011, 04:34 AM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by lively
Bruce
yep... here's a good example........ lmao

http://autoholics.com/2011/06/21/Dra...e-Strip-544241
Old 06-25-2011, 03:20 PM
jjam
CRAFTSMAN

Thanks, now this is another thing to remember also if your using more than 2 u-joints you might need a sterring stablizer... This will keep the shaft from the wobble... this will be installed next Thanks again
Old 08-26-2011, 08:17 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Use as many joints as needed.The more joints,and the more angle,the more steering resistance you will end up with.Just make sure each section of shaft between any two joints has its own support.NO FLOATING JOINTS!!!!
Old 10-31-2011, 09:05 AM
coolracing
MASTER BUILDER

One word WOW!
Originally Posted by fast75vega
Originally Posted by lively
Bruce
yep... here's a good example........ lmao

http://autoholics.com/2011/06/21/Dra...e-Strip-544241