Auto parts stores

Old 08-13-2014, 06:12 PM
Swiley383
RACING JUNKIE

Default Auto parts stores

Why don't replacement parts last anymore? The alternator died on my wife's jeep. I replaced it in January so it 7 months old.I took it back under warranty and they of course had to order it. This was on Monday picked it up yesterday and while still in the store I spun it like I always do. The bearing was making a grinding noise. I left it there and they order anther one. Pick that one up today spun it no noise. I installed it on the jeep and after about 30 seconds or so the bearing started screaming on this on. I removed the belt and spun it by hand and you can hear the bearing grinding.
I made my wife call about this one I was too pissed they order yet anther on and I told my wife to tell
Them I would not accept it unless they tested in front of me when
I pick it up if it makes noise I want a refund. She said the manager was ok with that but I had to wait till tomorrow for them to get in a anther one. So it will take 4 days to do a 30 minute job and 3 trips to the parts store this is crazy. You pay good money for replacement parts you should get good quality part I do not have to worry about leaving my wife stranded on the side of I 40. Needles to say this chain will lose a customer. I stopped buying parts from parts chain a few years ago because of this problem.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:27 PM
Swiley383
RACING JUNKIE

Well the one I picked up tonight the bearing did not make noise but when they tested it it tested bad. Needless to say I got a refund and headed to a different store they had one in stock that actually worked.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:54 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Auto Zone and NAPA have both highly disappointed me in the past. They no longer benefit from my visits there. My money is currently going to O'Riely's, but we'll see how long THAT lasts ......
Old 08-18-2014, 10:30 AM
Swiley383
RACING JUNKIE

Advanced auto were the ones giving me problems. I have had same trouble from autozone its been a long time since I purchased from them. O'Rielys brand was the alternator that worked thats who i normally use but they did not have one in stock in January. I will say this the staff at Advanced Auto was very upset that I had so much trouble. The person I had dealt with true the whole thing kept apologizing for the problem. No one ever got hateful witch is more than I could say for some parts stores.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:37 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

In the case with Advanced, it's a shame you had that experience with the parts they sell, as the folks you dealt with would make doing more biz there an positive experience. Their frustration in 'corporate' was probably very aggravating for them.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:11 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Biggest issue is they are farming out all their cores to cheap overseas rebuilders and getting inferior internal parts installed on the cores.There are few parts I will buy from a "parts store", I will gladly pay more from the original equipment part from the dealer first instead of paying less and going through the hassle you did just to get an alternator. Yes I am biased from working at dealerships almost my whole life but I see what does and doesn't work when we install parts on customers vehicles in the shop. We try and quote both new and aftermarket just to give the customer an option but it never fails they buy the "cheaper" part and they are back in 6-10 months later with that component having failed.

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 08-22-2014, 08:37 AM
Swiley383
RACING JUNKIE

I did notice while I was watching the guy test the alternator all the parts on the racks around me all had MADE IN CHINA on them. I do not mind paying more for a part that I do not have to worry about but the nearest Mopar dealer is hour away and this started at about 6:00 pm on a Sunday.

Last edited by Swiley383; 08-22-2014 at 08:42 AM.