need help:building a big duke/big chief motor

Old 04-30-2008, 08:45 PM
michael1
MASTER BUILDER

Default need help:building a big duke/big chief motor

Post subject: building a big duke/big chief motor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm building a big cubic inch motor and wanted to know if the brodix 18 degree heads are any good. I have a dart square port big chief tunnel ram with two 1150's and was wanting to know if I should run brodix or dart heads. If I use dart heads they make 14 degree heads that would also work with this intake, can anyone tell me which way I should go. This is a drag radial car. The intake is also drilled for a fogger system. Thanks
Old 05-01-2008, 02:19 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I think this is going to be the sky's the limit when you start talking wanting to go 14 degree over a 18 degree head there is a big difference. I've both the brodix and the dart head in action and both work very well.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:57 PM
cboggs
SENIOR BUILDER

I'd choose the Dart 14* before I used a Brodix head for a NOS engine, ..

square port stuff is fine for heavy NOS use, .. ..

Are you looking for an as cast head or fully cnc ported?

what size engine?

Curtis
Old 05-01-2008, 08:33 PM
michael1
MASTER BUILDER

It's a 632 looking to run about 14:1 comp. so I don't know I guess I should do a cnc ported head. I want it to run good on motor too.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:02 PM
obsessedtruck
JUNIOR BUILDER

Listen to the man. Trust me he knows his stuff. Mr. Curtis did the 18* 1803 Brodix heads on mine and I made the same power as some of the sonnys 14* headed stuff :shock: He will do you right..
Old 05-03-2008, 02:49 AM
michael1
MASTER BUILDER

I spoke with Pat ay nye's automotive and he said to use the dart 18* because I do plan on doing a little street driving (cruise nights) and he said that 14* heads do not work well on the street. I guess sinse he is building the motor I will take his advise. Thanks for all the help
Old 05-04-2008, 12:54 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by cboggs
I'd choose the Dart 14* before I used a Brodix head for a NOS engine, ..

square port stuff is fine for heavy NOS use, .. ..

Are you looking for an as cast head or fully cnc ported?

what size engine?

Curtis
What about the new Edelbrock head? I'm soon to start building a (single carb, 14.5+ comp, gas, no nos) 632. The edlebrock head advertises 475+ cfm, 1200hp capable which is all you can get out of a single 4500 carb anyway.
Or should I go to an 18 or 14* head with 540+cfm? I'm looking for absolute max hp and torque @ 6400 and above.
BTW, i had a set of world procucts heads cnc'd by race flow and they were pretty impressive!!

Thanks
Rabbit

http://www.myspace.com/rabbitmudracing
Old 05-04-2008, 07:30 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

I guess sinse he is building the motor I will take his advise. Thanks for all the help
Smart thinking.

Ed
Old 05-04-2008, 07:42 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Hi Rabbit,
Have I talked with you on the phone about another matter? Just curious, I am the guy building the Unpredictable Pro Mud engines with Randy Roberts and he had one of his buddies with a truck call me on the phone a few weeks ago about an issue he was having with his truck. Wondered if you are the same guy.

What about the new Edelbrock head? I'm soon to start building a (single carb, 14.5+ comp, gas, no nos) 632. The edlebrock head advertises 475+ cfm, 1200hp capable which is all you can get out of a single 4500 carb anyway.
Or should I go to an 18 or 14* head with 540+cfm? I'm looking for absolute max hp and torque @ 6400 and above.
BTW, i had a set of world procucts heads cnc'd by race flow and they were pretty impressive!!

Thanks
Rabbit
Fill me in some more on these please? I haven't heard of them yet. Unless maybe you are talking about the all out modified 24 deg that Curtis Boggs is doing for Texas Pro Stock Racing? I have a set of his out of the box RFD CNC Ported Edlebrock 24 degree that we angle milled down to a 102 cc chamber that I do really really like though.

RFD is definetly the place for good heads and for good custom work too. He woke up a set of 15 deg SB Brodix stuff for us we stuck on Randy's new motor.
www.raceflowdevelopment.com

Ed
Old 05-05-2008, 07:15 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Hi Ed.
I don't think it was me, but i've been on the phone alot lately with several different people. If you got some good advise it was me. If it didn't work it wasn't me!! lol.
The edelbrock heads from what several of the machine shops tell me are the best 24* chevy head you can get. The Musi Victor can be worked to flow 475+ which is hard to believe from a 24* head!!
http://www.raceflowdevelopment.com/R...ock-victor.htm
Advertised on the link above on RFD at 475+ with a 2.4 valve capable of 1200 hp which is more than some of the 18* heads. These would be cheaper than changing pistons, intake, rockers, etc. if they're as good as they say!?? and i know the quality of RFD is as good as it gets!
By the rules i run I can only run 1 - 4500 carb, no tunnel rams, or sheet metal intakes . 1200hp is about max outta 1 carb so i'm not sure if I would benefit from the 18* or 14* heads.
Thanks for any advice.
Rabbit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -