do it yourself AC charge.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:32 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Default do it yourself AC charge.

First off I know little to nothing about AC REPAIR

2000 CHEVY 1 TON DUALLY
I just had my ac charged last week by my uncle who has the proper gauges and all that. He pointed out the spot he thought was leaking. It worked great,but it is now warm again..so I assumed it had leaked out.I bought one of those cans of 134a that comes with a gauge on it.I tried to put it in the low side but the ac never got cold and the can still feels pretty full...but going by this gauge I think I may have overcharged it.
I can see the clutch on the front of the compressor kicking on and off. When the gauge is hooked up and the clutch is not spinning,the reading is way overcharged and in the red...when the clutch (or whatever that thing is.. ops: on front of the compressor)kicks in and starts to spin,the reading drops way down into the green,indicating low charge..which is like 15 psi on gauge. Here is my questions. Which reading do I use? Why won't it get cold? If I have overcharged it, what should I do now? Can I just crack a line or what? I know that to properly work on it it needs to be evacuated by a shop. Also, when the compressor kicks in it is only for a couple of seconds then it stops for a few seconds then back on again
Old 06-21-2009, 07:43 AM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

''Tod'' use the reading with the compressor spinning, don't worry about the low side reading as much, high side is what count's, too high and pressure valve in rear of compressor will pop off, take the low side reading [with compressor spinning] to 30 to 40 psi, then you will be in the ballpark.

''JUST MY TWO CENT'S WORTH''

http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/163312
Old 06-21-2009, 08:04 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Ok I got it thanks. It's nice and cold now,and the compressor is staying engaged as well.I was going by the reading on the gauge being in the red(when the compressor wasn't spinning) and thought it was overcharged.

Now...If I discover where the leak is...can I fix it myself? I know when you replace the compressor they have to pull a vacume on it ,or so I've heard. What about a leak in a line or something? Can the average person fix that and recharge without special stuff?
Old 06-21-2009, 09:39 AM
waynesworld154
CRAFTSMAN

if you know someone with a vac pump you can do it yourself like u are talking but it has to be vaccumed after breaking the system open down to operate properly ask around mac and others make a small pump alot of techs have at their house and borrow it u just hook air to it and turn it on and it sucks it down hope this helps
Old 06-24-2009, 07:22 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

Go to parts store tell them you need a/c dye, they sell a kit- Dye,Black light,Glasses etc, inject it in the A/C system, run for about 30 minutes, the Dye will showup with the glasses.

http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/163312
Old 06-25-2009, 08:10 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by waynesworld154
if you know someone with a vac pump you can do it yourself like u are talking but it has to be vaccumed after breaking the system open down to operate properly ask around mac and others make a small pump alot of techs have at their house and borrow it u just hook air to it and turn it on and it sucks it down hope this helps
x2. This insures there is no atmospheric air in the system, just the pure goodie stuff.
Dave
Old 06-25-2009, 10:35 AM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

You got to stop the leak first, by pulling a vacum on a system that has a leak, your just pulling more air into it :!: :!:

Old 06-25-2009, 01:39 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Thanks Mark.Yes I understand that. My question was once I locate the leak,is it something I can just fix myself without special equipment. I know where the leak is I think.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:49 PM
waynesworld154
CRAFTSMAN

where is the leak
Old 06-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Tod,
depends on where the leak is at. if its a hose or an oring, no problem. if its the evaporator then then it turns into a fairly large job. juice the system with the dye and go from there. hopefully its just an oring.

As close to "Normal" as I can get...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -