How Much To Charge A Sponsor?

Old 05-27-2007, 06:19 PM
mikeaton
MASTER BUILDER

Default yep zipper

yea i know what you mean except the semi retired deal i tried the semi retired deal and i about went nuts! so i went back to work for some one else! no worrys about employees no extra "surprises" no workmans comp no damn irs etc... now just punch a time clock and go to work i did the paying out of my pocket racing for over 25 years and now im blessed to have a real sponsor and a few material+cash sponsors as well they didnt pay for what i got but they help maintain the car and get me and the crew to the races pay expenses etc... heck had our main sponsor over today working on the trailer changing all the locks on the side doors and putting a saftey switch on the winch for the back door!!! hes a great guy and i also call him a good friend as well as a sponsor! i hope you find a good sponsor and can get out there and burn some alcohol on their dime!!! good luck! mike in new mexico
Old 05-30-2007, 04:45 PM
truk
APPRENTICE

i agree with the sticker deal also!! i dont have them on my truck. my trailer has the factory stickers removed also. i ask them if they wanted some good advertizing they said hell no so i took the stickers off. lets face it we have a very expensive hobby here with over 20000 in my truck alone, i dont want to give advertiving away.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:53 AM
witchdoctor
SHOW GUEST

Default sponsorship

I'm currently working on a presentation package that would be prepared specifically for your team. sample letters, contact names, tips, Powerpoint presentation CD, etc. I sent out some trial samples and got good feedback. Racers really liked it. My question is would anyone be interested in it? The cost would be around $160. I'm thinking about posting an ad on racing junk but would like some feedback first. Comments welcome! I can Be reached at 330-856-6924 for quick questions.Thanks Jon
Old 07-06-2007, 07:34 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

A few years back we were pursuing corporate sponsorship to help with a Pro Stock program. Put together a real nice proposal and presentaion. Got real good response to it.

Later I used the same proposal and scaled the numbers back for some small sponsorship, it worked then as well. Bottom line is businesses, big and small, like to see numbers in black and white and what they're getting for the money. Doesn't hurt to be a good salesman but lip service only goes so far. You need to look and sound like you've done your home work and not just jotted something on a Hooters napkin.

As far as what sponsorship should cover, well use your imagination. I like to get lump some contributions to allocate where I see fit. However sometimes you need to be specific . Most businesses want to no exactly where and how it's being spent.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:14 AM
soaring16
SHOW GUEST

Default Small is still good

Sometimes even simple things can get you started.

We've looking into just having our hand outs paid for by including a company's web address and logo on them.

We get oil and plugs now which considering how much oil we go through, that's great. 44 qts a weekend adds up.

Plus it helps that we run some of the major nostalgia races and match racing which helps with exposure.

Bob
Old 08-21-2007, 05:00 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

I too have been following this thread..this is my 1st post on the subject..

all i can say is if your luckey enough to have a sponsor..GREAT !!..its tough to get...i agree with ZIPPER 100%...no stickers on my cars..none on the Vette and only a cartoon sticker from the "BIG DADDY" Ed roth collection on my 67 camaro.....
anyhow i have problems wearing a shirt with any logo's such a the nike "swoosh" mark etc.....on all of my dailey driven cars i take off the dealership stickers...

racing and fast cars is a passion of love..very rarely you get out of your car what you put in..but i will say that if you do it the smart way you will not take as big as hit as others that DO NOT follow these simple rules below...SPONSOR OR NO SPONSOR:

#1- try to build a car that is marketable if not and a 1973 Gremlin is your thing or a 1988 SUNBIRD then be sure to follow step #2.

#2- when you build it make it nice..i am not saying put 100k in it..but what i am saying is whatever you do take time to do it right and neat..this is NOT A MONEY thing i am speaking of..its pride of ownership etc....

there is nothing i hate more than to see a car at the dragstrip with wires hanging down on the motor,a crows nest in the drivers compartment..5 inches of rubber caked under the fenders from 2 season's ago....yea ,yeah ..i know its only a race car..i have heard this crock before...well let me tell you if you DO NOT HAVE SPONSOR ROLLING ALL THE BILLS OFF THE CUFF..then you better think about what the future holds...cause one day you might wanna get out of it....so protect you investment by doing things right the 1st time..particualry when using your own money !!!

so DO IT RIGHT....no matter if its your money or the sponsors money.

I would also like to say that Mikeaton is one of the lucky ones..he has a GREAT sponsor..i have dealt with Mikes sponsor one on one and he is a super guy..he also sent me a tee-shirt...so yes i advertise for Mikeaton's outfit.....Tell Marty i said hello Mike...

my 2 cents..

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 08-27-2007, 10:15 AM
mikeaton
MASTER BUILDER

Default bjuice

hey brian thanks for the kind words ill see marty tonite if the spacer gets here and ill pass the kind words on to him yes i am lucky to have a sponsor like marty hes one in a million he already signed up for next year and now were looking to expand the team into 2 funny cars [his idea] so hopfully we can get this year over .weve had several races and also some down time due to severe tire shake and some thigs like broken convertors, imput shafts etc... but were scheduled for a couple match races next month so we will be busy again!!! thanks guys please visit our web site and leave a message in our guest book. thanks again for the support and man what a bunch of cards on here the jokes on here are priceless :lol: lol mike in new mexico
Old 08-27-2007, 03:39 PM
chevguy65
RACING JUNKIE

AS MUCH AS YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH :P
Old 09-07-2007, 06:07 PM
marshalllhancock
SHOW GUEST

We have tried for a number of years to get sponsors in on the Outlaw 10.5 stuff with very little success. Part of the problem is that the organization that we race in limits sponsorship advertising to the windows, hood scoop, and rear quarter panels. It has proven very hard to find a good primary sponsor to help offset the $150k investment that has come out of our pocket. I feel the same way about the decals as most of you. We did put the decals on for the NMRA events that actually pay contingency but at any other event the car is clean and devoid of decals. We would be happy to advertise but after investing so much money it is hard to give away anything for free. I am happy to give credit where it is due and Tony Aiken of TCI has been very helpful in supplying torque converters for us last season and Lance Styck of Custom Performance has donated his toterhome and trailer as well as fuel for us to race with the NMRA this year. We got a "very small" break on the paint job and wore that company name on the car for a few events as well. I guess that the advertisement is directly associated with the amount of help that a company provides.

I have had a lot of interest in our professionally prepared proposals in the past but every company that we sent one to for primary sponsorship tells us the same thing. There is not enough advertisement area available on the car to justify the expense of a primary sponsorship spot for them.

This is all a little discouraging but Outlaw racing is something that we are really passionate about so we will continue searching for that "right" sponsor for our team.

Next season we will have an Outlaw Limited Street car as well as a NMRA/FFW Pro 5.0 car and an ADRL Extreme 10.5 Mustang that we will be racing under the Custom Performance banner. Hopefully having a team mate that can advertise anywhere on the car will help us out tremendously but time will tell.

Marshall Hancock
Hancock Racing

NMRA 10.5 Outlaw #8
Old 11-01-2007, 03:08 PM
srracing26
SHOW GUEST

Default sponsorship?

does anyone have a sample copy of a proposal thats where i am comfused. thanks The ODOM-inator

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -