Bought motor w/trans

Old 06-26-2007, 04:26 PM
illss
APPRENTICE

Yeah i got a great deal !!! I explained to him that i need a replacement an he stated that it was good !! My old motor had blow-by etc. an it was in better shape than this one was . I didnt need the tranny an he wouldnt sell motor seperately an needed something quick . He stated the it just needed a wash an valve cover gaskets when it's really a rebulidable core which i already had .
Old 06-26-2007, 04:42 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

did 1971 orginal motor not ring a bell..did the picture in the ad not confirm the bell that was ringing.....i am not trying to be hard on you at all...but dude if you know much about motors etc... you should have known this motor should have been in the same shape as yours if not worse..
do you know what BLOW-BY is and why it happens ?

you could have got a BRAND-NEW GM CRATE MOTOR for under 2k and picked it up at youyr local chevrolet dealer.

simple fact is ya gotta have an idea what your buying or get somone who knows....2nd..maybe the motor did run good to the seller..i know many people who runs their truck engines etc with blow by and is very happy with it...

i think the seller did himself a BIG IN-JUSTICE by selling the orginal number matching motor out of his 71 IMPALA..if you hold on to it long enough and keep the sellers info you might be able to sell it back to him double what you paid him once he finds out how bad the car was de-valued without the original motor...

and 109k miles for a 36 year old motor means 3,027 miles a year ..which is highly un-likley in itself...these are the kinds of common sense questions you must ask yourself..the picture of the motor tells me there is a minimum of 250k on the motor if not more...and if its orIginal you can bet eveything in the motor is SHOT or close to being SHOT..

that all i will say on this...good luck to ya

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 06-26-2007, 06:18 PM
alscoupe
SENIOR BUILDER

Ditto Brian!

And, just for future reference, if it's a stock replacement daily driver, 99 times outta 100, your better off to rebuild what you've got. Even if you gotta pay a local shade tree (like me) to do the mech-a-neck work, dependent on a good block and rotating assembly; rings, bearings, gaskets, a head job, and labor; you'd of been out $1500 to $2500, running in a week to 10 days, just like off the showroom.

Now, i'm done too.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:40 PM
illss
APPRENTICE

Point is bells or not he lied an im screwed . The motor sux an yes i will buy a crate motor (new) with warranty if i should decide to keep the chevelle . Honestly this has made me think about selling it . Thanks for being hard an honest an now i know next time . No hard feelings an thanks . :wink:
Old 06-26-2007, 07:51 PM
woodsman
DYNO OPERATOR

illss thats the way to do it. Your a good man.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:55 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

illss---just keep on trying-we all live and learn
Old 06-26-2007, 08:01 PM
woodsman
DYNO OPERATOR

lively the last half of that line is ( and then we die an forget it all )
Old 06-27-2007, 06:59 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Ok the temptation is to great I can't resist.
First off. You didn't get screwed, instead you screwed yourself, I mean cmon man think about?
Did you do any comparitive shopping?
Did you do the math? Calcualting the gas money it would take to drive there and back plus van rental fees? Did you check the local junkyards for a running 350? Chances are you drove past hundreds on the way there.
800 bucks maybe was on the high side, but think about what you got?
A std bore 400 4 bolt, highly deseriable block around my parts.
A bare one would bring 300 to 400 easy, not to mention those choice double hump heads all the stock dirt racers are looking for. I could get 200 bucks for them alone.
A good 350 turbo tranny which I'm sure you could sell in local paper for a couple hundred bucks.
Lastly, It was a high mileage, 36 year old motor sold as is. What the hell? You were expecting it to be a tight motor with no blow by?
Not that's just too funny. Believe me, you really opened ur self up for critisism here man, sorry no pity party for you on this one,
can you feel the love? Welcome to the forum. Charles
Old 06-27-2007, 12:49 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

cepx111---NOW DON'T HOLD BACK ON YOUR THOUGHTS] IT CAN CAUSE ULCERS] :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 06-27-2007, 03:53 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

8) 8)

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -