Gotta run mid 7s

Old 01-02-2008, 05:31 AM
rjd
SHOW GUEST

Default Gotta run mid 7s

I have been reading for a long time here but this is my first topic. I need a little advice if possible. I am planning a bbc combo for a buudy and it needs to run pretty hard. It is a 4 link dragster that runs low 8.20s now with a 468. They want to run top dragster so it needs to run in the mid 7s. The only limiting factor is we have a new set of bb2 extra heads that were won or givin as sponsorship. I was thinking of a 555 or something. I ran mid sevens with a 505, but it was a hardtail, a little lighter, and I was leaning on it pretty hard. This needs to be a single gas 4bbl that is maintenence free. What combos seem to be the best. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:56 AM
perfconn
JOURNEYMAN

Mid 7's shouldn't be a problem with what you have.I ran 7.60's in 1983 with a 307ci in a C/ED with a single 4 barrel on gas.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:30 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Any idea what that car weighs ? You'll find that there is more then just weight difference in the hardtail and suspended cars, them shocks do slow things down. I think the heads will be some what a limiting factor here. My 548 CI @ 2011lbs with dart 355s would run low 7.7's all day without leaning on it with single carb. There is a lot of things that will make or break this combo, rim/tire combo 16" rim will be .08 slower, conv will be key. Where you live will also make or break it, elevation has a to do with everything. If its a typical 4 link car @ weighs 1925lbs or so has a properly setup carb/conv/tire combo I think 7.6's is do able with them heads but not much more. This would be around me with slim to no good air to race in.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:32 PM
davis419b
EXPERT BUILDER

rjd.... Heres how you solve your problem ! Go to ad# 1067561 and buy this engine, guarenteed to run 7.50 or better! Thanks, Don
Old 01-02-2008, 05:29 PM
rjd
SHOW GUEST

I just need to make sure it runs in the 7s in bad air. Davis, that motor is nice, just a little out of our price range. The car will be set up properly with gear, fuel, tires and such. Like I said, I was just fishing for the combos people are using mostly. Thanks again.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:48 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

If you have to buy the stuff go 582 or 598 ! a 555 in bad are in a suspended car that weighs anything like it should wont be a mid 7.5's car unless you make it something like the motor mentioned above.