Alcohol and Nitromethane

Old 09-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by slowmotion
From http://nostalgiaracing.proboards57.c...lay&thread=713

Pull a couple hundred dollars out of the bank and burn it too see if it is fun. Then do it again. If it is still fun poor some money, or I mean nitro in the tank

And

Now here is the first thing you need to do. Go to the bank, get $10,000.00 in fives, tens, twentys and 100's. Stand in front of the toilet, start with the 5's, work you way up through the 100's. When you have flushed them all down the toilet and not flinched your almost ready to go.

:lol:
You just described race cars in general didn't you? :lol:
Old 09-21-2008, 10:49 AM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default Fuel RACING?

Originally Posted by Tod74
Originally Posted by slowmotion
From http://nostalgiaracing.proboards57.c...lay&thread=713

Pull a couple hundred dollars out of the bank and burn it too see if it is fun. Then do it again. If it is still fun poor some money, or I mean nitro in the tank

And

Now here is the first thing you need to do. Go to the bank, get $10,000.00 in fives, tens, twentys and 100's. Stand in front of the toilet, start with the 5's, work you way up through the 100's. When you have flushed them all down the toilet and not flinched your almost ready to go.

:lol:
You just described race cars in general didn't you? :lol:
Not in GENERAL?
Fuel Racing,the Ten Grand is just a Scratch of the SURFACE!!!
When you come back from a Run,and Drop the Diaper,and all of the Rotating Assemblys is Located in the Diaper?You go Into the Trailer and get another BULLET(Witout a FLINCH)Then your Ready????????????
Later
G 8)
Old 10-02-2008, 10:45 PM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

Slowmotion your the man!!!!!!!!!!

Results with nitro will not be realized until you start using 15 - 25%, but do not used more than 35% or all you will get to do is turn the engine over about 3 times.

Increase fuel, Did I say increase fuel, Yes I did. An engine on nitro is like a crackhead on crack. Can't get enough to fuel the habit.

Just to let you know, If you mix properly you might get 3 to 4 runs on your motor before you see it in your rear view mirror.

Check out this link. Slightly modified stock combo on nitro, alcohol and a lil 144 blower Nothing special but she is hauling By the way we had to put her down after 4 runs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot6TzQ0y-qY
Old 10-11-2008, 08:40 AM
quick8dragster07
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Does anyone else have a really good knowledge of the nitro, and what percentage will hurt the rods/crank? I think we could see results around 15-20%, but what about at 40lbs of boost? How much do you have to advance your timing? I have a 20 mag, and set pretty high for blower application, would just hate to push my bottom end out though.. BTW THAT SITE WAS VERY HELPFUL! Thanks, Matt
Old 10-11-2008, 10:42 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

I do not think Anyone has an answer as to how much Nitro will it take to hurt the bottom end..Not trying to sound smart but you will know when its much too late.
What many people don't understand about Nitro ( except people who do) is the Burn rate on this stuff.. With Gas/Alcohol you have an explosion basically like a hammer pushing the piston down...The Nitro will keep exploding ( expanding) the full length of the stroke and will try to push the pistons thru the bottom of the oil pan..thats where your rotation of the crank comes in..so guess what takes the brunt of this Massive force...Yep .....rods,pistons,crank etc...

This is one of the arguments the NHRA Funny car guys are having for wanting to run a Bigger Percent % of Nitro..they claim they can lower their static compression therefore lessoning the amount of hit ( hammer effect) at the top of the stroke..therefore saving engine parts...

this touches your question about 40 lbs of boost etc...OF course i cannot compare my stuff to their stuff ( NHRA)..i can't speak for you or anyone else.

Myself Being a 3 time owner of Alcohol Blown Injected cars i would recommend leaving the Nitro ALONE...If you got a Big ( Good) enough Roots type blower to pump that boost over the 30/35lb mark..your gonna have enough challanges keeping it together....Then again if ya JUST GOTTA know 1st hand of NITRO..there is no better experience than the school of hard Knocks ( no pun intended)..lol

IMO.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 10-11-2008, 12:16 PM
nofear57
EXPERT BUILDER

If you really want to talk to someone about it,try Classic Funny Cars Forum someone there might tell you more. If you do let us know what you found out.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:53 AM
spudmiller
SHOW GUEST

If you hurt your stuff while running nitro, then you aren't doing it right.

Nitromethane is an extremely cost effective way to make economical parts and pieces perform like you wouldn't believe. The tone here seems to be that one would be foolish to run it and it would be like setting fire to good money. My sentiments are pretty much the opposite...buy the good liquid and feed it right to go fast instead of spending bucks on trick parts made out of unobtainium. Also, parts designed for brute strength are cheaper than trick, lightweight, canted-valve, jewelry. So, buy for strength and dump in more juice.

I ran an extremely cheap small block chevy for 5 seasons with almost no maintenance. Same bearings, same rings...I finally wore out the bores and retired it for new iron. It was running when I shut it off. In fact, its last pass was a final round appearance. Hundreds and hundreds of passes on 50-75% nitro. I did need to put two new pistons in it once due to over revving it on the burn out. Changed head gaskets a couple of times until I learned what worked. That's it. No trick parts or pieces and I was able to beat up pretty well on blown alcohol motors. It won many rounds, won quite a few events and I didn't spend a ton of money.

Spud Miller
www.onehotchilipepper.com
Old 12-13-2008, 09:00 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

What track did you do all this winning on Nitro? Do they have a website???
Old 12-14-2008, 06:00 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

with all due respect Mr Miller but i STRONGLY disagree with your Verison of Nitro..i know Everyone is entitled to their opinion but we are also on here to steer people in the right direction and i feel advising someone they can/should run 50%-75% nitro in a bracket series car and expect it to live for hundreds of passes is Not good advise ( IMO).

A question for you ?..How do you manage to get HUNDREDS of passes on a nitro motor at 75% and the Funny car guys at 90% only manage to get two or three rounds if they are lucky..and i assure you their parts are built for strength. :roll:

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 12-14-2008, 07:49 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bjuice
with all due respect Mr Miller but i STRONGLY disagree with your Verison of Nitro..i know Everyone is entitled to their opinion but we are also on here to steer people in the right direction and i feel advising someone they can/should run 50%-75% nitro in a bracket series car and expect it to live for hundreds of passes is Not good advise ( IMO).

A question for you ?..How do you manage to get HUNDREDS of passes on a nitro motor at 75% and the Funny car guys at 90% only manage to get two or three rounds if they are lucky..and i assure you their parts are built for strength. :roll:
Hey BJ and Dparker,

Spud Miller writes the book on nitro, He owns http://fuelinjectionent.com/, and does lots of writing on HRE forum in the fuel injection forum. You have to be a member of HRE to view that part of the HRE forums.
Trust me he knows his chit when it comes to injection and Nitro, and has along list of accomplishments. He runs a very near 200 MPH front engine nostalgia dragster, with a S/BLK all steel, it was a 360" motor with stacks injection, i think in 2009 it is going to be a 388" motor all steel with stacks, and probably in the 6 second range, since it was already down in the botom half of the 7's.

JMO

Zip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -