Valve seals riding up on valve

Old 02-05-2012, 01:30 PM
TRChassis
JOURNEYMAN

Default Valve seals riding up on valve

We have a set of (BBC aluminum) Dart heads with 15 passes since Dart replaced one head and put new valves and got the other head to new specs. We have a problem with the valve seals riding up on the valves, they are the blue ones with the tiny springs that go around the stem in the seal. Don't know if it is the wrong seal or if the springs are messed up or what. All but about 4 valves have this problem. The heads being new they are not leaking oil but the little springs are getting down in the pan. Before I take them to our head guy, has anyone had this issue? I am calling Dart also, but I am worried something is not right.

Rick
Old 02-12-2012, 08:52 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

It sure doesn't sound right. It sounds like maybe the seals are not gripping the valve guides tight enough,they are usually pretty tough to pop on.Tight to the point that if you ever pull one off you wouldn't want to reuse it. Is it a possibility the seals are for another diameter valve stem? They still shouldn't be so tight as to jerk the seals off of the guides. Any witness marks to suggest a spring is snagging them?Hard to imagine 12 springs snagging seals,though. Very odd. Keep us posted on what you discover,please!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:35 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

x2 Olds
It sounds like .531 ID seals on .500 OD guides.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:03 AM
TRChassis
JOURNEYMAN

Originally Posted by olds48
It sure doesn't sound right. It sounds like maybe the seals are not gripping the valve guides tight enough,they are usually pretty tough to pop on.Tight to the point that if you ever pull one off you wouldn't want to reuse it. Is it a possibility the seals are for another diameter valve stem? They still shouldn't be so tight as to jerk the seals off of the guides. Any witness marks to suggest a spring is snagging them?Hard to imagine 12 springs snagging seals,though. Very odd. Keep us posted on what you discover,please!
I will keep you posted, we have a real good head guy here in this little town and he is fixing the problem and I will quiz him on it.

Rick