Valve lash cold/hot

Old 01-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

LOOL!!! I have been setting mine for 5 years, the wrong way too. Broken a few poly-locks, second guessed it, gone back & done it again. But if metal expands, why less tolerance when cold??? I thought it was a valid question from a rookie at best. Scoot
Old 01-27-2010, 02:53 PM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

Easy test Scoot, Set your lash with the motor hot, Let the motor cool, till it's dead cold, and check them again. don't reset them. Fire the motor and let it come to operating temp. again and check them one more time. Don't touch the adjustment, after you set it the first time. I'll bet the flea circus, it'll be tighter cold, especially if you have aluminum heads. I set mine, .022 hot, or .018 cold. samey same. Scooter, don't tell no one, I learnt this from an ex Ford mechanic.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:24 PM
wmeabates
MASTER BUILDER

Aluminum heads or block or both will grow with heat more than steel, so the top of the heads are moving away from the cam more the lifters and pushrods are growing.Some motors with aluminum block and heads have no lash or less when cold.My aluminun high port heads go from .014 to .022 cold to hot.Bill.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:14 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

Mine are 0.16 cold and 0.22 hot, With Indy aluminum head's :!: I know we are talking ''Chebbies'' here and mine is a Mopar, but you all know i just have too :!: :!:

''JUST MY TWO CENT'S WORTH''
Old 01-28-2010, 03:23 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Fair enough boys. I know that everything is not the way it seems in Scooterzville.... this is why I ask you fella's. Thanks!