Who to build a new converter?

Old 02-22-2014, 07:39 PM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Who

Thank you guys for all the input. Your experience is appreciated.

I decided to work with Kris at Continental one more time. He picked out a 8" combination that he feels will improve over what I have now and used all new parts. He even sent me pictures of all the components for approval before assembly.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:52 PM
jtortorete
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Mark,

I hope it does what you want it to do. Let us know after you make some passes, so we know if Continental did good for you.

JT
Old 02-23-2014, 06:13 AM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Who

Will do.

I originally found Continental by way of Steve Griner, who used to do my transmissions and converters. He went to just building aluminum billet valve bodies and recommended Kris. Several guys around here started using Continental since then and all are satisfied with quality and combination.

The only thing added to the mix this time was no used 8" cores to build from. Now every piece is new. Could have saved some $$ if I had sent my present converter in, but I feel better thinking it will last longer without any used parts.

Griner built a mean billet aluminum valve body for PG's. Now he is doing Turbo 400 2 speed billet valve bodies for NMCA turbo cars. But he only sells thru his dealers.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:06 AM
jtortorete
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Thanks Mark, I will look forward to hear the results you get.

In my mind I would not have picked a 8" for your combination because of that I have been seeing around my area, and experiences I read on.

The Horse power and torque your motor puts out, weight of the car do help determine the converter size. The smaller converters work well with small CID low HP motors, and the thinking around here is to use a larger dia. converter to handle the HP to weight ratio, to prevent converter cavitation. which greatly reduces the converter efficiency.

My builder is building me a 10" for my 632 cid, 2500 lb. with me, Camaro. The motor makes 1000 HP. The JW 9.5" I have in it now is cavitat-ing, (not over full) and blowing throw.

So again I am sure your builder has all you correct numbers and will give you a converter that will do what you want.
JT
Old 06-28-2017, 01:06 PM
harleyd35
SHOW GUEST

Default the man

Originally Posted by jtortorete View Post
Mark,

Sorry for this late reply, but I am old and slow!! It is a long answer but most old people have nothing but time, so they tend to ramble on.

I believe the mysteries of good converter building was been solved by most well known converter people these days. So I go against the advise of many people an buy from a rather unknown name in the converter business. His success and knowledge does not require him to have a trade mark name, he is will known other wise.

I buy from him because he remembers where is roots came from, and he remembers that, when dealing with the blue collar racer. I would put this products against the best well known names out there. and I do not need to take a loan out on my home to get a good converter.

The key to a good converter is efficiency. It needs to transfer engine performance to the transmission, consistently on every pass, with little loss of efficiency?

All fluid couplings depend today on the years of experience of a builder especially in the materials and parts used to build a converter, plus the best methods to assemble the same.

The trouble converter builders have is the "lies" car owners tell about their engine performance, and the lack of knowledge of a car that owner should know to get a good converter built .

As we all know, "garbage in gives you garbage out". For example, the weight of your car with driver, helps the builder decide what size converter to build, plus other every important information. Not many car owners know that exact weight of their cars.

So now that I have bored you all, but you did read this far, write me back if you are interested in knowing this mystery man.

JT
im curious on who the man is that your talking about. im looking at getting a new converter & ive talked to a few and im pretty sure im going with an individual who has a very good reputation it seems.. so for my mind id like to know .. thanks brian
Old 07-25-2017, 10:36 AM
BigBlockMark
MASTER BUILDER

Update on the converter Continental built me. It worked well with my 496. No complaints. I asked them at the time how it would work with a 582 pump gas engine around 850 HP in the future. He offered to me that it would change but he could build it for the 582 if I wanted and it would just be a little tight for the 496. I told him that's what I wanted. Now the 582 has been built and in the car this season. Works even better than I expected. At 3200# it is a solid 5 second 1/8 mile combo with 1.20s 60 foot. Kris at Continental made a durable, well performing converter for me.