Main caps

Old 05-17-2007, 01:15 PM
billhendren
MASTER BUILDER

I have never had a mag pickup and alternator in the same loom so i cant say for sure what effect it will have. it only requires a few milliamp's to trigger the MSD so I would separate it and run the mag pickup as far as possible from any other source.Bill
Old 05-17-2007, 02:41 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

About the possible electrical interference.

Never run a high voltage 12 volt or higher wire in close vicinity parellel to a low voltage less than 5 volts wire. Skin Effect, Halo Effect and other variables can induce unwanted current into the low voltage wire. .

It is ok and cannot harm to cross them but to not run them side by side. Also keep all low voltage wires 5 volts, .5 volts , millivolt wires away from ground cables or alternators side by side too. The ground wire has as much voltage potential as the positive battery wire does. An alternator is the highest dirtiest electricical source in a car.

Ed
Old 05-17-2007, 03:22 PM
davis419b
EXPERT BUILDER

Default interference

Hey Ed: How about a transbrake wire running in the same loom as an alternator would it interfere with the transbrake release. Also i am looking for new engine builder in the area. Thanks.Don
Old 05-17-2007, 06:07 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Don,
The tranny brake wire will be ok. Even if it is a tiny wire to a relay it is still carrying car voltage. The problems come from low current and low voltage carrying wires like for sensors, crank triggers, tachometers, computers etc. Those are mostly low voltage.

I see that you are in Wylie. That is literally right down the street from me. I will preface this to saying that my purpose of being on the internet and helping people is not to be self serving. I have never ever asked anyone for their business.

That said, I could use it if one of you wanted to consider me. I think my phone number is in my profile, if not I will put it there. If my services may not be what you would wish, I can likely point you in a direction of one that may better fit your needs. I am a very small one man no dollar operation. I am not a big famous shop.

972-633-0563

Best time to call is at night.l I work more at night and sleep in the mornings. lol.

Thx,
Ed