1971 Chevelle need wheel backspacing help

Old 03-04-2013, 11:41 AM
Ffpm46
SHOW GUEST

Default 1971 Chevelle need wheel backspacing help

Hello, I have a 1971 Chevelle stock suspension no read mods, drums on back, I want to buy a American Racing Torque Thrust 15x10 on rear and 15 x 7 on front. What should the proper back spacing be?

This is the wheel Torq-Thrust II 505 Series Wheel the only back spacing listed is 3 3/4".

Can anyone post some similar setups with wheel, tire and back spacing sizing?

Or what should my back spacing be both front and rear? I have front discs with tubular control arms up front in case that info is needed.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:31 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

What kind of activity are you building the car for ? Drag, street/drag, pro touring.....
Old 03-05-2013, 02:13 AM
Ffpm46
SHOW GUEST

Street/Drag
Old 03-05-2013, 05:07 PM
wazup
EXPERT BUILDER

I had a 69ss with pro stars 4.5 back 5.5 out 10.0 overall with et streets 29x12.5. I had to do little and i mean little work to the front part of the frame. The tire would flex and rub alittle so i tapped in the frame. The tires filled up the wheel wells perfect. The car weighed 3810lbs went 10 teens on the front mickey thompson street tires with 3.5 rims.
Hope this helps good luck
Old 03-06-2013, 07:28 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

I'm working off memory here so it might not be Gospel, but I think the 3.5" backspacing allows a 10.5" wide tire to "Just Fit" inside the wheel well. I dunno how tolerant of body sway they will be but I'm pretty sure you've got clearance.

I'm also pretty sure that the 3.5" backspacing is a stock wheel dimension. I have 15 X 8 X 3.5 wheels on my '34 Ford and the tires fit perfectly under the stock rear fender. On a Chevelle, you should have another 3" outer clearance if you use the same tire/wheel I'm using, so logic dictates that your 10" tire and wheel should fit.

Hot tip is to find a buddy who has a set of any 10" wide X 3.5" and do a trial fit. It might save you some shipping fees . .
Old 03-06-2013, 11:57 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

This brings up the 'sway factor' as stated above. When stuffing as much rubber as you can, take into consideration the wear in all your suspension pivot points, stock is all rubber and probably excessively worn, hence allowing the tire to frame/body clearances to fluctuate during operation. BEWARE..