FALCON GASSERS !

Old 01-12-2012, 08:14 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

LOTS of caster for high speed stability, Look at the rail jobs.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:43 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by outlaw256
and what degree did you set that axle up at zip. i put one in a 57 chevy yrs ago and it ran straight and true and didnt shake.just didnt stop so good NO BRAKES!!lol
I set it at 10 degrees, with a cross over leaf spring, lol, no front brakes either/ever on the car. I had to pull the chute on every pass, couple of funny incedents on that too over the 5 yrs. i ran it. When i lived in Anderson SC. in 1968/1969 i built a front suspension for an altered, but i made it quarter elipitcal springs and that thing transfered weight and ran straight as an arrow. i borrowed the idea from Stone,Woods, and Cook, that's the rear suspension they had on their blown willy's.

Zip.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:41 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

That 'bird probably caught a lot of airflow under the front end !
It amazes me that ANY of those nose high cars were at all CLOSE to stable at speed.
------
Old 01-14-2012, 02:41 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

i took our axles out from under a few ford e vans. i think we set them up like 7 degrees. DD, some were plum scary to drive the 1/4 in.but if you lived thru it MAN what a ride it was lol.but most werent bad at all. i got a few axles now. gonna put one under my 41 glass willys someday and i got the 64 fairlane thats gonna get one. and if i ever get off my butt im gonna put one under my 54 ranchwagon.what can i say i love the gasser look!! it takes me back to where i was happy.and not in pain.and besides they just look KOOL lol
Old 01-14-2012, 06:42 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by outlaw256
i took our axles out from under a few ford e vans. i think we set them up like 7 degrees. DD, some were plum scary to drive the 1/4 in.but if you lived thru it MAN what a ride it was lol.but most werent bad at all. i got a few axles now. gonna put one under my 41 glass willys someday and i got the 64 fairlane thats gonna get one. and if i ever get off my butt im gonna put one under my 54 ranchwagon.what can i say i love the gasser look!! it takes me back to where i was happy.and not in pain.and besides they just look KOOL lol
Outlaw, i don't know if the 2 spring setup works better than a cross over spring, my axle was out of an old ford, and the first run down the track with the car was 11.19 @ 122 MPH and i almost wet my pants (i was only 25 yrs. old) i was crazy/stupid as hell in those days and didn't have much fear, but i did realise that that setup was not going to work, By the way i lived at 317 Cedar Circle Rd. in Streamwood when you lived in Hanover Park. Do you remember the hellous snow storm we had in April 1965? i was stuck at work for 2 days in Elk Grove at the shop worked at. WoW :!: :!: memories.

Zip.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:37 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

zip wasnt it 67 that we had that bad snow? i had some friends that lived on cedar circle!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2012, 08:02 PM
bad68backhalf
APPRENTICE

In 1982 -83 i ran a 55 chevy gasser on the street,it had a 1970 454 LS6,400 turbo, 12 bolt,488s. 1 piece tilt front. It was a little hairy on the street. I raced on delaware ave in Philadelphia every weekend. But i think today the technololgy is a little better with the front axels .
Old 02-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

I love Zips car examples from the good days!!!! Wish I was there.

My buddies dad but a nice 40 Ford 2dr Sedan gasser in 68ish. He still has it. It was parked by 1970ish with a cracked 9" rear. It is a 4-spd nasty 327 car. He said he took it on I5 at 120mph back in the day, it took up all 4 lanes trying to keep it on the road. Scarey. I saw that car in his shop not too long ago... 4 flat tires on Hali-brand slotted wheels. A thick layer of dust covers the metallic Ruby red... tuck & roll...just sitting there for 40+ years. What a time capsule. Kills me... absolutely kills me. I bet the oil in that motor is like peanut butter. I think he said it was in Hot Rod mag in the late 60's. Nice car.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:46 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

That '40 is a genuine barn find, if ya could get 'em to part with it to restore it in honor of his dad.
At least it's in out of the weather !
Old 02-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Yep, I would love to have it... she is a fine Gasser for sure. He also has a 65 Falcon w/ a striaght 6 that runs 12's easy just short-shifting it.... has a hand made dual carb intake. Interesting car too... but the 40 is amazing.