diesel truck smokes (black) when pulling a hill

Old 06-15-2009, 01:41 PM
tcarda
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by sds10racer
tcarda, thats where you're wrong on the smoking. my 94 smokes very little and thats when i haven't been running it down the hiway in a while. pulling a pretty long hill out of Ft. Pierre, it doesn't smoke at all and thats a 1 1/2 mile long hill. all the way to the floor. if it's a 94 or newer 6.5 turbo, it has a pmd to control the injection. keeps it from smoking. if the vacume pump isn't strong enough, the waste gate doesn't work right, also if the dashpot for the waste gate isn't working right, it either won't open all the way or it opens too soon. opening to soon will make it smoke really bad when you put it to the wood. but your right on the power, it doesn't have a lot of power, but if the load isn't too heavy,like mine, it will get better fuel mileage than the others from that era.
The 95 2500 company truck I had puffed when it started and when I pulled our 15K lb trailer, it would certainly leave a trail of smoke from the day we got it. I was one happy camper when GM dumped that engine and came out with the Duramax/Allison comination. I knew a couple of people who had the 6.5 in 1/2 ton trucks and loved them because they got good mileage with them.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:25 PM
sds10racer
MASTER BUILDER

my'94 is a 1/2 ton. when i pull the trailer it gets14mpg at @65mph. empty it makes 18to 20. most likely i would get a duramax if i could afford one. just keep on using the one i got i guess. don't know if i would lock the gate closed, too much boost( if there was such a thing )
Old 06-16-2009, 03:27 AM
CamBirdRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

A 6.5 had to much compression and didn't make enough boost to be a good engine. The Duramas has less compression and will pump at least 25 lbs of boost. My old 95 1 ton 6.5 might get up to 9 if I was lucky.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:38 PM
whitey70ss
MASTER BUILDER

Not to sure of the specs on this engine but if its smoking black and a lack of power I would be looking at the air charge cooler (if it has one)! Or the hoses that connect it to the turbo. If there is a leak it creates a rich condition. :? By the way I thought all diesel guys liked that smoke? :lol:
Old 06-16-2009, 03:10 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Doesn't ever say lack of power?????
Old 06-16-2009, 06:37 PM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

I WORK ON CUMMINS DIESELS, YOU MIGHT HAVE A INJECTOR HANGING OPEN JUST A BIT, TRY SOME POWER SERVICE FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER, THAT IS WHAT WE USE AT MY DEALERSHIP FOR CUMMINS DIESELS, I ALSO USE IT IN MY CUMMINS DIESEL, BUT SOME BLACK SMOKE IS NORMAL :!: :!:

''JUST MY TWO CENT'S WORTH''

http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/163312
Old 06-16-2009, 06:53 PM
tcarda
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by mopar1968
I WORK ON CUMMINS DIESELS, YOU MIGHT HAVE A INJECTOR HANGING OPEN JUST A BIT, TRY SOME POWER SERVICE FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER, THAT IS WHAT WE USE AT MY DEALERSHIP FOR CUMMINS DIESELS, I ALSO USE IT IN MY CUMMINS DIESEL, BUT SOME BLACK SMOKE IS NORMAL :!: :!:

''JUST MY TWO CENT'S WORTH''

http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/163312
X2. Power Service is some good stuff. We have used that in our Powerstrokes and Duramaxs.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:57 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

POWER SERVICE, GOOD STUFF EVEN MORE IMPORTANT WITH BIODEISEL