WARNING ABOUT EAGLE CRANKS!

Old 02-25-2010, 09:36 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

kwkracing, he said it started hammering, but your right, that's alot of 1/4 passes.

You know what it is dont you, they dont know how to make them one off Mopar cranks like they do the chebbies...lol :lol: >Cp
Old 02-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I can't imagine there is a single crankshaft manufacturer out there that has not had at least some failures.Nothing is indestructible.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:08 AM
kikgas01
APPRENTICE

I was NEVER at the track, it wasn`t even broke in yet. I drove it 40 miles to try to break it in and put 100 miles on it or so. I DON`T LIKE GOING TO THE TRACK THATS HOW THINGS HAPPEN, I like the street/car shows. I have this for cruises and car shows not racing at a track.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:55 AM
kikgas01
APPRENTICE

Their latest response to me! GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE! I called customer service and they SAID the machine work WAS done overseas and this jerk sent me this!
I'm not going to get into a useless pissing match with you. I am part of customer service, and I know for a fact we do not tell anyone that because it is not true. Some initial machining is done overseas, but journal sizing and all critical machining is done here.

You obviously have made up your mind and there is no sense trying to convince you otherwise.

----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2010 11:18 AM
Subject: RE: I was wondering if all of your products were this good???

Customer service said all machining was done overseas
Old 02-26-2010, 08:20 AM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

SO you drove your street car 100 miles and pulled the engine out to inspect the crank? We never got a answer? Hammering? I guess its possible to drive it for a few minutes, the crank to crack, expand and knock the bearing out that quick. But what is the story?
Old 02-26-2010, 08:45 AM
kikgas01
APPRENTICE

You just said it. It started knocking after about 150 street miles, I pulled it back out and found a crack in the crank. Plain as English. I was simply pointing out that I have a bad crankshaft and and just giving everyone a heads up. Simple.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:57 AM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Have you physically miced the journal to see that the size has changed? Because even with that crack, it shows no sign of the bearing grabbing the crank, which would be associated with a knock in that quick of a trip. Sounds like there where other clearance problems , and you just happened to notice the crack. Post a picture of the bearing that was on that journal. What was the oil pressure?

I am not trying to argue with you, it just seems like you have more wrong than you are blaming eagle for. I have several cracked crankshafts in blown engines under moderate power. Stuff happens, repair it or replace it. I hear several people bad mouthing eagle, i disagree. You get what you pay for. They make good entry level performance parts that are afordable for budget racers.

http://www.winbergcrankshafts.com/cranks/mopar.shtml

Each crankshaft starts as a non-twist, progressive die, 4340 steel forging. All processes are done in-house at our manufacturing facility, including numerous quality checks. The result is a top of the line, 100% American made Forged crankshaft.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:06 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I know it's out of pocket money, but if i owned the crank i would have it xrayed to see how deep the crack is. Magnaflux with not tell you this, it will only show the crack which you can already see.
About Eagle's operation, yes the forgings are rough machined oversea's just as Scat, Callies Compustar, Ohio crankshaft, just too name a few. Once they come to Eagle they are heat treated, rough ground and indexed, then polished then nitrided and elecro etched (logo) I donot believe most cranks are magnafluxed by any of the manufacturs.
I do think that Eagle should have stood behind the product though. I guess it has to do with who bought the crank, since most of the public cannot purchase their products directly, only thru their dealer network. In the situation that happened on the 2 cranks that i mentioned in the earlier post, living as close to Eagle as we did, we were in on the ground floor when Eagle started and bought direct, just as I/we still do from bullit, BTE, PTC, and a few other local manufacturs.
I'm in agreement with the other posters, talk directly with the shop/company that you purchased it thru, talking with Eagle directly, they won't feel the impact as they would from one of their dealers.

JMO

Zip.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:26 AM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

are there any cranks left that are still forged & machined here, kinda surprised callies wasn't?
Old 02-26-2010, 10:46 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by MEMRACING62
are there any cranks left that are still forged & machined here, kinda surprised callies wasn't?
Yes the good Callies are American forged, but not the compustar, also Lunati and some of the Howards cranks are American steel. Callies does Howards cranks. There are of course others, like the cranks NASCAR uses, but you're talking $2,000.00/$4,000.00 cranks.

Everybody is trying to get in on the entry level sales and that's why they are useing the Chinese forgings.

Zip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -