366T BBC

Old 07-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Racefab57
DYNO OPERATOR

You and me Tod 74 The weight alone SBC"S rule ( alum) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! David. he,he,he,.ok bbc's.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:09 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I run a Big Block. :lol:

It's easier to run decent (ESPECIALLY when you're sorta poor)
Old 07-26-2008, 05:30 PM
coloradoracerguy
SENIOR BUILDER

Yes I have. I used to deal with those engines on a regular basis. I'd use a 427 block if it was filled at least to the bottom of the water pump holes, but that's it. The 366 is a boat anchor in my opinion..

I'm a big block guy myself, and run 565" + motors in my own cars. Bottom line, is if you're gonna spend the money, you're better off with an aftermarket block. There are quality 454 blocks out there that will take a .125" overbore, but I'd still fill the block at that point. The 427 and 366 truck motors were never intended as performance engines, they were built for heavy duty low rpm work. The heads sucked as well. The bores were non-siamesed, and that doesn't lend well to larger overbores. The 366 is actually a different block than the 427, in that the bores were cast smaller than the 427. It's factory bore was 3.935, and used the same 3.76" stroke crank that the 427 did. They both also used standard big block 6.135 con rods, but different pistons. The pistons were unique to those two engines.

Mark
Old 08-05-2008, 07:39 PM
promodjohn
APPRENTICE

Default Re: 366T BBC

Originally Posted by ncoffroader
:roll: i have a 366T BBC would it be worth freshining up a short block assembly with mild cam and aluminum intake? I dont wanna get into alot of heavy machine work or would i be better of finding a SBC? with slight modification(cam,intake,slight boring)pound for pound which would be more reliable and have more torque? i dont wanna do alot of modifying (350 to a 383,406 or 366 to a 427,454)I guess what i need to know is which motor would be worth freshining up? thanx
Iam sorry those engines are worthless many years ago my brother and I both had 66 chevelles mine had a 331 small block in it,he pulled his small block out and put a 366t in it I spanked himm every week for a year.

Small big blocks don't make big power,big small blocks make alot of power,big big blocks will pull the earth off its axes !!!!!
Old 08-05-2008, 08:32 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

I have a 427 (did not build it) & it can twist to 7200 if I choose, but it makes me nervous. This is my first BBC... gotta love the pure torque. I hate adjusting the valves (solid) as someone said earlier... but other than that, seeing the difference from all of the SBC's I have had, I must say I like it. When I think of a 366, I recall a 2 ton truck we used to buck hay with... I think they made a decent dump truck eng back in the day too. You gotta love a high RPM SBC too... like the old DZ's... pretty cool.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:40 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

You can build a S/BLK, with more CU IN and have atleast the same HP and 150 less weight, and you don't need all the spacers/special manifold, etc. I wouldn't waste the money.

JMO

Zip.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:04 PM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

ive owned both.i like the bbc but i could and have built 2 for 1.when my bbc came apart it was startin to get tired but still ran strong.had 2 sbc in the shed gettin rusty so i built one with all the go fast parts made. built long block ( needed everything for a sbc). when i got done i could grab this mouse by the throat and squeeze it to 10.000 and it was in my 55 that im lookin for to this day.i still had enough money to build a mild sbc short block. good thing i run a parts store when i built these. i love to hear a sbc scream for mercy ( or give me MORE) !!!!! did i mention that my store had a machine shop also ? our man was a racer and a friend so machine work was extensive but cheap.