cooling ?

Old 09-29-2007, 05:10 PM
roger61670
APPRENTICE

Default cooling ?

I need a little help, trying to get my CUDA to run cooler then 200-220 . It has a 496 stroker with a ele. water pump, 2- 10"ele. fans, 2 core alum. rad. could the carb be out of tune,should I put a fan back on the motor, please help if poss. thanks :?:
Old 09-29-2007, 05:20 PM
etbird
MASTER BUILDER

What is your timing at?
Old 09-29-2007, 05:39 PM
topsportsman1
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

I'd say the radiator is not big enough or its tubes are plugged up.

Do you have a fan shroud on it?

Do you have a thermostat in the engine?
Old 09-29-2007, 05:41 PM
woodsman
DYNO OPERATOR

Roger this may help you just use distilled water and 2 bottles of royal purple purple ice. It cant do anything but help it helped me. Good luck on your cooling system.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:48 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

i know your being ask alot and all is good info write it all down on a checklist..i think you will find once you get the right radiator in your car if not already...you will have the problem of moving the water thru too slow or too fast..the cheapest thing you could do right know, is try the coolant thing then check your timing and then check to see what you have in your waterneck housing..get you a thermostate and cut the center out and place it back in place...

for the record my 511ci bbc, runs 37 degress timing, i have a custom made cross flow radiator from karrhouse. 2 one inch rows,,,i run a punched out thermostate and a csr electric waterpump and it doesn't get about 185 degree's after a full pass in 90 degree heat

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 09-29-2007, 07:05 PM
davebat
JUNIOR BUILDER

Just a thought, after sitting on the shelf, I installed my electric waterpump on my S10 and it was overheating. Used to work fine on my 406. Somehow the thing is just not running right after sitting on the shelf.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:15 PM
topsportsman1
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by davebat
Just a thought, after sitting on the shelf, I installed my electric waterpump on my S10 and it was overheating. Used to work fine on my 406. Somehow the thing is just not running right after sitting on the shelf.
I had the same thing happen one time,I swaped the wires and it cools fine now.I figured the impeller was rotating the wrong way.Try reversing the polarity on the pump,as long as you have a two wire pump
Old 09-29-2007, 10:08 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Definately do something in the thermostat housing such as restricting the flow. I use a restrictor washer with a 3/8" hole to slow down the water flow, giving it more time to cool in the radiator, when i run gas. but most of the time i run alcohol where i have no cooling problem.

JMO

Zip.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:16 AM
roger61670
APPRENTICE

Thanks for all the help. the timing is set at 35, there is a t-stat in it with the center out of it, but I do not have a shroud or fenderwells in it yet. I tried setting timing at 30,slowed down and ran like crap. never went anymore on timing since :?: I've only raced the CUDA about 3 times this year do the temp problem, some people say that temp is find, I don't like it. thanks roger
Old 09-30-2007, 08:42 AM
Bubstr
JUNIOR BUILDER

This sounds like a core support or duct work would help you a lot. I've found most of the time cooling problems came from letting the air go around the out side of the radiator instead of forcing it to go threw it.

Fans are for when your sitting still or going slow.

I'd bet if you stopped any air entering the front from going around or under or over your radiator, that even a skimpy one would be ok for a drag race.

There are exceptions, like pushing water threw too fast or slow or backward, but most times it's not forcing the air threw at speed.

If your driving it on the street a radiator with more capacity may be needed because of slower air flow. That just allows most of the water to stay in the radiator longer and get cooled.

PS you want air threw all the fins , don't block any or run tube type ducts, and think your getting air. Been there , Ouch I made a shroud for water pump type fan that was very flat against radiator with tunnel for fan. It didn't use the outside corners of the radiator then. When you add them corners up they make up 1/3 of the area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -