TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Default What is CSCOPE ? pronounced see scope

...inching into a school near you NOW;

http://www.wnd.com/2012/12/texas-tea...hty-god/print/
Old 12-21-2012, 04:30 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

kinda hard to believe that thats happening in a state like texas.but if it is then its time for parents to be parents and tell their school boards to go to hell.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:49 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

If you have kids and or grandkids in public schools, ask to see the curriculum. If they refuse or balk raise some hell cuz they are hiding the truth....
Old 12-22-2012, 03:26 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

the main reason our schools are in the shape they are in is because parents dont stand up to the system.short story here. when my son was in h.s. he wore a pair of pants that they didnt like. they were those stupid baggy pants. i hated them but he was the one who wanted to look stupid. anyway they called him into the princibals office and the man called me and told me to come get him. well i fought the school boards in chicago about hair and blue jeans .we one back in 69. anyway by the time i got there i was hot to say the least. when i pulled in there there were some football players wearing pants that were way worse than dillons. i went staight to his office and we had a discussion. when i told him about the f.players he said well i havent had them sent here yet. i exploded on him. told him this is a public school not a private and that when he pays for my kids clothes he then could tell him, what to wear and not till then. i was really in this guys face. close enough i told him to go get some listerene because his breath smelled like shit. true. anyway i said awhole lot more about america and our freedoms and he wasnt going to take any from me or my kids .period.! i went home with my boy that day and sent him back to school in the same pants. he didnt get sent home again.when he got home the next day he told me i scared the hell out of the princibal. i didnt care one way or the other. what i cared about was his freedoms. and i was willing and able to do something about it. sure shook up this little town!!!if i can do it alone just think how much more power parenmts really have!!!!
Old 12-24-2012, 08:46 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

Default On Schools, and why they don't work . .

This is a post I put up in another local forum in a discussion about education and why the current syastem doesn't work any better than it does . . . .
As I see it, it's a problem with the whole perception of the Public Education System that has been created by a number of things, starting with a unionized teaching corp. The only answer that those "Professionals" who have a plethora of @ss covering rulesets within their contracts and Union work rules, along with the Job Guarantee of "Tenure' which makes moving or discharging an inept educator nearly impossible in the very least. This, of course leads to total irresponsibility throughout the system because as union members, one cannot rat out another brother/sister Unionista . .

We have literally created an "Educational Assembly line" to educate our children. We categorize them by age, not ability, and then place them in "Grades", K thru 12 typically. And for a couple of hundred years it kind of worked. It worked better back when it was started, for a number of reasons. Back then there were few outside diversions. Kids came to school and were entertained by learning. There were smaller classroom sizes by the grades and often the grades were more or less intermingled. There were some who believed (and still do) that the "One Room School House" was the best approach to educational achievement because the teacher was constantly aware of where, academically, each of his/her students were . . and because no matter which grade was being taught, everyone got to hear/see this and by the time it got to them in a test form, they knew it well . . And, while some argue that there's far more things that students need to know today, that's a false premise. An Eighth Grade Graduate (they graduated Eighth Graders back then) knew far more about far more than a sophomore in the average State College or University does today.

And that was because, for one thing, when the teacher in that little school sent Johnny home in the Spring to work on the farm, she knew that next Fall, that same kid would be back in HER classroom studying NEXT YEAR'S Grade and ready for it. If he wouldn't be, in her summation, then she held him back and repeated that grade . .

There was no one to pass off the non achiever on to . . .

Today, we not only pass off non-achievers, slower students and potentially mentally ill or mentally handicapped children to the next grade, we do it, often as not, with the blessing(s) of the Administration . . The Entire system is complicit in this. We don't want to make "Waves". Not at any level. So if Sally, in the first or second grade, doesn't read at her acceptable level, the problem is seldom diagnosed, partly because the teacher doesn't want to deal with it and partly because the Administration (and sometimes the parents) don't want to spend the money and time to do it . . Because, quite like a faulty circut board or automobile on an assembly line, once you pull it off the line to diagnose and fix it, you have to adjust it's place in the line . . Our Educational systems are no longer prepared to do this efficiently. And to a School District, "efficiency" is everything . . and we can improve "Efficiency" by throwing money at the problem . . and when that doesn't work, we add more money by labeling the problem and assigning another administrator to it . .

And, in the ensuing "passing on" of the non-achiever (or whatever) we (the lower teacher) hopes/assumes that the receiving teacher can "MAKE DO" with the student he/she has sent up . . And of course, the receiving Teacher says nothing, once realization of the capabilities of the "Gift" has been ascertained, and tries to help the student "Catch Up" . . or not . . Apparently few do. In Pueblo, it's one out of every four, an admirable fact (?) . .

But the punch line is this. If a child cannot read at Third Grade level at the end of the Third Grade, what kind of heroic effort(s) are going to be made to bring this student up to Fourth Grade skills before he/she gets there? Generally, not a whole lot . . The student may not fit the assembly line model but "WE'LL MAKE DO" . . and sooner or later the student says, in one manner or another, "Enough" . . They drop out, or coast, just showing up and being a "Warm Body" which to school administrators, is actually all they're concerned about. If Billy/Sally just shows up on the "Count" day so that the school/district gets the bucks that the Feds and the State pays out for each and every warm body in the classroom, and of course, assumes that Billy/Sally is literate and an attending, involved student . . like every three out of four . .

And the teachers/administration are happy . . Until somebody grades the system . . .

The system has failed, and neither the teachers nor the Administrators, or the School Board really care . . Their only mission has been converted from education to funding education . . Screw the results . .

Perhaps we had better figure out how to pay for results rather than rhetoric . .

I'm betting that it would be a D@mned site cheaper . . .