Milky oil and alcohol

Old 08-29-2011, 01:46 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

You should always be above that on the track also, somethng I see often when dealing with carb or injection is this, people complain of there cars gaining 50-60 degrees from burnout box to the end of the track. It usually ends up they are very cold in the burnout box and they do not run the fan or water pump because they think it'll keep it cooler. To start the day out ALWAYS get it to 170-180 with the water pump on and then let it heat soak in the engine for awhile. Then go into the burnout box around 155-160 with the water pump on, you should be around 160-170 when stagging, make the run and gain 10 degrees, in the shutdown area-turn on the fan to run along with the water pump. When it gets back to the 170 range shut the fan and water pump off.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:01 PM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by hammertime
You should always be above that on the track also, somethng I see often when dealing with carb or injection is this, people complain of there cars gaining 50-60 degrees from burnout box to the end of the track. It usually ends up they are very cold in the burnout box and they do not run the fan or water pump because they think it'll keep it cooler. To start the day out ALWAYS get it to 170-180 with the water pump on and then let it heat soak in the engine for awhile. Then go into the burnout box around 155-160 with the water pump on, you should be around 160-170 when stagging, make the run and gain 10 degrees, in the shutdown area-turn on the fan to run along with the water pump. When it gets back to the 170 range shut the fan and water pump off.
Thanks for the good advice David. It makes sense to me. I probably wasn't paying enough attention to the temps. I will now.
I talked to Ron's and they said that for each nozzle change (ie: 39 to 40) the pill should change 15 sizes (ie: 80 to 95). I never knew the correlation before. He was amazed that the best dyno runs were 41 nozzle and 88 pill and 39 nozzle and 82 pill, because they should have been 30 pill sizes apart. 39 / 82 correlated to 41 / 112.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:47 PM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

And the saga ends! Not with a spectacular solution either.

Ran the car last week with 39 nozzles and an 84 pill. I made sure I rolled into the water box at 180 degrees. No oil spray on the runs. Too little heat was the problem.
I picked the vacuum pump RPM up to 75% instead of 50%. I think it was still building crankcase pressure because I had a small valve cover leak. I am going to leave the vac pump on and re-install my header evac system with check valves. Hopefully that cures the pressure buildup. Best run was 7.89 @ 169 mph. DA was 4500 feet.
I wanted to thank all you guys, especially Hammer, for trying hard to help me sort this out.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:15 PM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default ?

Originally Posted by kod99

Ran the car last week with 39 nozzles and an 84 pill. I made sure I rolled into the water box at 180 degrees. No oil spray on the runs. Too little heat was the problem.
I picked the vacuum pump RPM up to 75% instead of 50%. I think it was still building crankcase pressure because I had a small valve cover leak. I am going to leave the vac pump on and re-install my header evac system with check valves. Hopefully that cures the pressure buildup. Best run was 7.89 @ 169 mph. DA was 4500 feet.
I wanted to thank all you guys, especially Hammer, for trying hard to help me sort this out.
I THINK YOUR MISSING the POINT of a (VACUME PUMP)?IT Makes VAC.NOT Pressure!My Car will set For DAYS and Still have 6-10PSI.OF Vacume!
You OBVIOUSLY are Missing a INTERNAL Motor Issue,that Someone DONT wantto Deal with!!!
SAD but TRUE!
Later
G :?
Old 09-09-2011, 05:04 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Great news !! I read the Saga ends and thought oh no but glad its better..

BBchevy is correct thoguh, your likely on the edge and over driving the pump has helped.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:33 AM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

Default Re: ?

Originally Posted by bbchevy

I THINK YOUR MISSING the POINT of a (VACUME PUMP)?IT Makes VAC.NOT Pressure!My Car will set For DAYS and Still have 6-10PSI.OF Vacume!
You OBVIOUSLY are Missing a INTERNAL Motor Issue,that Someone DONT wantto Deal with!!!
SAD but TRUE!
Later

G :?
I agree BBChevy! But I had to solve the oil problem before I could start to address the crankcase pressure issue. It puzzles me to no end, but the leakdown and compression tests were but great. I am gonna rig up a vacuum / pressure gauge and monitor the crankcase during a run.