looking for another truck

Old 01-10-2011, 05:28 PM
laxking012
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default looking for another truck

I totalled my truck the other day so now I'm looking for another one. One truck I'm looking at is a 79 chevy 4wd 3/4 ton, how good would this truck be for a daily driver? I really like this truck but am worried about the age, and don't want to have a bunch of problems with it. Another is a 78 chevy 1/2 ton. I really like these kind of trucks and would love to have one but can't afford to be putting a lot of money into it right now so I need it to hold up. Would it be up to the task of daily driver or do i need to look at something newer?
Old 01-10-2011, 06:31 PM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

as long as they were well maintained they will last for ever and even if you rebuilt every inch of the drive line would be less then the payents for 2yrs of a new truck so my advice/opinion is test it all out and if A-OK do it
Old 01-11-2011, 06:17 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Is the '78 4 wheel drive? If so it could add some cost of repair down the road like bearings, hubs, drive shaft u joints and possibly front axles or u-joints for the axles or even a transfer case. The 3/4 ton truck is a gas hog and if I didn't need that much truck would go with the 1/2 ton.
You can rebuild either of those trucks with basic and very inexpensive parts or you can update em with fairly new engines / transmissions if you want. If the 78 is 4 wheel drive check everything real good, make sure the front is in good shape (if not I'm not saying pass, just take it out of the buying price if possible) and you'll have a truck that can be a daily driver for many years
I love the old Chevy 4 wheel drives too. I'll buy a project truck and rebuild it one day.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:48 AM
laxking012
JUNIOR BUILDER

Both trucks are 4 wheel drive. I haven't gone to look at either truck yet, just seen pics and and emailed the owners, so far. The biggest thing I've seen so far is on the 79 3/4 ton is when looking from the back, the left side of the bed looks like it sits higher than the right side when you compare to the window. Also with the 78 1/2 ton he says it has a "new 350 never started needs couple things to run nothing major needs somone with time" so that could be a little iffy.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:31 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by laxking012
Both trucks are 4 wheel drive. I haven't gone to look at either truck yet, just seen pics and and emailed the owners, so far. The biggest thing I've seen so far is on the 79 3/4 ton is when looking from the back, the left side of the bed looks like it sits higher than the right side when you compare to the window. Also with the 78 1/2 ton he says it has a "new 350 never started needs couple things to run nothing major needs somone with time" so that could be a little iffy.
Cool, I was hoping it was 4x4. If it doesn't run you need to pay him for a non running truck or he needs to get it running. Don't pay for it with hopes of it all being simple fixes. You have to assume it's not.
Good luck!
Old 01-11-2011, 02:57 PM
dragonmaster093
RACING JUNKIE

x2 i recently sold a motor that had less then 500 miles on it but it wasnt running right and i hadnt had the time to figure out why so i had to sell it cheap. found out that cam didnt beak in right and wiped a lobe. guy i sold it to is a friend of my uncle and came over to his shop ranting and raving about it and he was gonna kick my a@@. my uncle was there when i mad the deal and told him A. he told you it wasnt running right and told you didnt know why he sold it to you based on everything he said so if you have a problem you can take it up with me(my uncle) my nephew was as honest on the deal as he could be. (guy didnt know he was my uncle) guy alpologized and nothing more said
Old 01-11-2011, 03:50 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

make sure its a tight truck....if you haven't priced parts in a while your in for a shock....ball joints, t-rods, idlers etc....etc aint cheap anymore, nor are clutches....if it needs much , look on...truck that old could turn out to be a four wheel drive money pit on wheels..and it wont take that much to do it !!