Cashier Check Question

Old 05-08-2011, 06:09 AM
timothysiler
APPRENTICE

Default Cashier Check Question

I have a 638ci motor forsale and a gentleman wanted to meet me up on Sunday and pay a cashier check. I told him with it being sunday I will have to accept cash or we can meet one day during the weekend and I can call the bank and verify the fund from his check or meet him at the bank in which gave him the cashier check. Only other way I would accept it is through a wire transfer. He told me never mind that he didnt want the motor and was not going to carry that much cash with him. Did I do the right thing?
Old 05-08-2011, 06:17 AM
grimratter
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Re: Cashier Check Question

Originally Posted by timothysiler
I have a 638ci motor forsale and a gentleman wanted to meet me up on Sunday and pay a cashier check. I told him with it being sunday I will have to accept cash or we can meet one day during the weekend and I can call the bank and verify the fund from his check or meet him at the bank in which gave him the cashier check. Only other way I would accept it is through a wire transfer. He told me never mind that he didnt want the motor and was not going to carry that much cash with him. Did I do the right thing?
Yes, you did the right thing. There are too many bad cashiers checks out there. The banks will even tell you that they can't say if they are good or not until they clear. Sometimes it takes up to 4 to 6 weeks. I won't accept a cashiers ever. Tell him you'll take it, but you won't let the engine go untill it clears totally.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:10 AM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

Im thinking you dodged a scammer bullet!!
Old 05-08-2011, 07:15 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by MEMRACING62
Im thinking you dodged a scammer bullet!!
X2

Zip.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:07 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

If he wanted the motor no way would he have just walked away. He would have; gotten cash, sent you a deposit or waited till the next week to work out something with you.

99.9999% you were fixing to be scammed!
Old 05-08-2011, 09:17 AM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

I agree you just dodged a scammer :!: If you had done that then you would probably lost your engine :!: :!: Smart thinking on your part :!: :!:

Mark
Old 05-08-2011, 11:32 AM
bixblk
DYNO OPERATOR

Default cashiers checks

You did the right thing, too many bad cashiers checks out there. Cash does not have to "clear". Definiately the right thing JMO

Jeff
Old 05-11-2011, 05:49 AM
3dracing
MASTER BUILDER

I went to Office Depot and got a pen to check the cash also.