fuel pump

Old 05-23-2007, 04:14 AM
Timmyboy86
CRAFTSMAN

Default fuel pump

i was wondering what are the advantages of a electric pump over a mechanical pump theres a couple of mechanical pumps out there that cost more than a good electric is there any horsepower gain when you go to electric
Old 05-23-2007, 06:30 AM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

The mechanical pumps will always cost some HP, because they run off of the engine. But, which mechanical pumps are you referring to? The ones that bolt in the stock location or the ones that run off of the drive belt? The ones that are normally used for alcohol are set up for low pressure at idle, so they won't flood and then high pressure under higher rpms so that they can keep the bowls full.

If you are referring to the stock location style pump for a gasoline carburated engine, I would say that the electric pump mounted at the tank is the best because it pushes the fuel instead of sucking on it. The stock style mechanical pump heats the fuel and has a tendency to vapor lock when the under hood temps get higher. There are some classes that require a stock style fuel pump and there are some owners who do not want to change the car over to an electric fuel pump.

Bill M
Old 05-23-2007, 06:59 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

i agree with what Bill said here..it will grealty determine what type of application its going on also.
the winston Cup guys are a running a 750hp engine at 9,000 rpm for 500 plus miles using a high performance mechanical ( stock location) fuel pump..with a #6 line.....Carter is a brand they use a-lot.

if i were going to be driving it on the street as a TRUE street/strip car,,the Holley Volume MAX fuel pump is an excellent choice..some of these mecahincal pumps must be regulated also. if this is the case they sell a nice carb mounted regualtor kit that works nice and neatly.

if you are dragging only..electric pump mounted as close to the fuel tank as possible..because of what Bill mentioned as far as pushing the fuel

i run a magna-fuel on my 511 bbc...very nice pump and probaly a little over kill..many pro-stock boys run this pump...

My opinion for the best all around electric fuel pump on the market that takes care of most 700hp motors/engines on down IS "OLD FAITHFUL"...HOLLEY BLUE...you cannot beat these pumps with a stick...mount them sideways , upsidedown, under the tank, on top of the tank...the will work...

just my opinion here.....i will advise to stay CLEAR of the Barry Grant pump : King endura" and anyother BG products for that matter its a BIG PIECE OF CRAP in my opinion..Plus i feel BARRY Grant is one BIGGEST rip off artist of this century...if you do not believe what i say..i ask anyone that has ever had a BG 400 pump and got one o-ring gasket leaking and had to send it off to BG....THEY GOT CHARGED $250.00 to replace a $2.00 o-ring that they would net sell you..BECAUSE THEY ARE PIRATES in my opinion...

Someone out here got wise and killed BG,,cause now you can buy these gaskets kits less than $15.00.....BG could have kepted this main line business and charged $50.00 abd still made boo coo's of money...but NOOOOOOOO..that wanted the grandslam....

PISS ON BARRY GRANT AND HIS GREED !!...( my personal opinion)

also in my opinion thay haven't had a decent carb since the silver/gold claw verison....

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 05-23-2007, 07:50 AM
slowman
MASTER BUILDER

brian, could you tell use how you realy feel lol. i have to agree with you.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:44 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Lol...after i posted it..i sort of felt bad...but hey..its how i truly feel about them....i have since learned from a friend of mine ( by pm) that they did help him out with a leak or small problem for $42.00...i would have to think that after they (BG) have learned that the public has access to the O-RING kit for $15.00 bucks...they have decided to charge what they should have been all along so they don't lose out all together ( my opinion only)....a zebra doesn't change their stripes..they just debate if they are white stripes are black ones..

for the record i purchased a "KING ENDURA" pump about 4 years ago when i upgraded my 63 vw bug V8 tube car...the pump always made a loud sound ( out of the norm loud)..i sold the VW to a good friend of mine..He took it to the drag stip for the 1st time after driving it around to many cruise inns' i went with him to help him..he was new at this game and the bug was really quick..6.0's high 5.90's on motor in the 1/8 at 112 mph and very ill handling for the 1st 80 ft or so..( not a beginer car by no means)..anyhow he was warming the bug up on the return road and it just shut down "like it ran out of fuel...it would turn over,had great oil pressure,was getting fire..but would not hit..i noticed that there was no fuel coming out of the squirters on top the 1000 cfm sliverclaw carb ( which i purchased for $400 off racing junk..thank you)......

so i checked the fuel cell...FULL OF FUEL..the fuel pump was rated to support up to 2,000 hp and would hold up on a continous operation mode..for road race cars etc....

well the pump was designed with a external DRY BREAK screen filter..i took off the bottom of the screen filter and it was full of metal shavings..so much shavings that fuel would not pass thru the filter...

after getting it home and taking off the pump..you could see where the motor (impeller etc) was cutting into the housing causing metal shavings to drop into the filter...it looked to me that BG left out a possible spacer shim that should have been there...i found something that would space it placed it in there and the pump worked...it made a loud noise but worked.

the reason i bought the pump was to take advantage of the continous run capabilities and the power of the pump to run NOS without having to run a dedicated fuel system...after that episode i would not have trusted to run the pump to support NOS and motor at same time...of course i called BG and they would not hear anything of it because it was past the 90 day warranty even though it was a manufacture flaw...whewwwwwww....now you know the reason why i cannot stand them.,.the o-ring deal just finishes the deal...

i have had their main tech man in my shop and my house before..Mike Goins..Mike was sent to my place to look at a 10.5 camaro i had for sale..he was sent by a guy out of FLORIDA that dealt heavy in the muscles and race cars..he was on RJ all the time a few years back but i haven't seen him in a few years...,,his nick name was bubba..i cannot remember his screen name...

anyhow thanks for listening to my babbling..

Brian

Old 05-23-2007, 06:10 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

DUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHH----I THINK I AGREE BUT NOT SURE I SHOULD BRIAN!!!!!!---DID YOU TAKE YOUR MEDICINE TODAY YET???---YOUR SCARING THE ADVERTISERS :lol: :lol: :lol: --REMEMBER THE GREATEST RULE[--CHEATING YOUR CUSTOMERS MAKES YOU MOOOOORE MONEY :twisted: :twisted: ]
Old 05-23-2007, 08:53 PM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

Brian, I didn't mind your "babbling" as you put it. It makes me glad that I never ran the pump. I had heard a lot about them leaking and going bad. I have the Holley350 on my car. For the carburators, I still look at Pro Stock (love the class) and how they are running in the "King Demon Crown", but I haven't seen BG carbs on the cars. Maybe I missed it and they have them.

Bill M
Old 05-24-2007, 12:44 PM
buffjhsn1
CRAFTSMAN

Originally Posted by sp2816
Brian, I didn't mind your "babbling" as you put it. It makes me glad that I never ran the pump. I had heard a lot about them leaking and going bad. I have the Holley350 on my car. For the carburators, I still look at Pro Stock (love the class) and how they are running in the "King Demon Crown", but I haven't seen BG carbs on the cars. Maybe I missed it and they have them.

Bill M
when was the last time barry grant even qualified? :lol:

i run magna fuel prostar 500 pump. that thing is awsome! 1 gallon of gas through the regulator at 7 psi in 8 seconds! now that is a pump!
Old 05-24-2007, 01:58 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by buffjhsn1
Originally Posted by sp2816

Bill M
when was the last time barry grant even qualified? :lol:

i run magna fuel prostar 500 pump. that thing is awsome! 1 gallon of gas through the regulator at 7 psi in 8 seconds! now that is a pump!

SAME HERE !