Need some help with ComCams, Lunati, LSM or camshaft profile

Old 12-02-2007, 06:48 AM
obsessedtruck
JUNIOR BUILDER

1000hp is doable all has to be correct on it. small ring package, vacum pump, good intake,proper cam. I'd use a set of nice brodix 18* 1803 spread ports. But i assume spreads are not allowed.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:20 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by montec468
Sounds like a good comination you have. We are limited to a conventional heads. I have not been doing this for too long and I happen to get the 355 heads cheap from a friend of mine. I am trying to a little research and see how much I can do with these heads and intake. I would like to knock on the 1000 hp door, but I think I will need a little more squeeze and some head work.
Kick the super victor intake for a sniper. Maybe mill the heads for some more compression, and get a valve job done on the heads you might gain 50-60hp more by doing all them, but I think that combo is 900hp on a honest Dyno.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:07 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

540 cu in is too small for a Sniper. They now do have a Sniper Jr coming out though. The Super Victor will work fine. That size engine might also benefit from a FunnelRam or SuperSucker. Big engines don't.

Ed
Old 12-02-2007, 05:38 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by edvancedengines
540 cu in is too small for a Sniper. They now do have a Sniper Jr coming out though. The Super Victor will work fine. That size engine might also benefit from a FunnelRam or SuperSucker. Big engines don't.

Ed
Sniper Jr is what I mean Ed ... I am sure there is some ground to be made with the swap, I've used/dyno'd with both and out of box the super victor isnt even close to the sniper. This was on a 548 with Dart 355 cnc'd heads that made 975hp. :P
Old 12-02-2007, 05:55 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Out of the box the Super Victor is not much. I agree. With a little bit of simple work though it is.

My statement about the cu in limitations of the Sniper is just me repeating the words of the man who designed the Sniper in the first place. I have not yet tested one.

Ed
Old 12-02-2007, 05:58 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

They are very nice intakes out of box. I have the actual sniper on my 582 right now, it had a dual carb tunnel ram on it and went to the sniper and terminator with a 40hp gain. I'd think atleast half of that is intake.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:19 PM
montec468
APPRENTICE

I am not familiar with the Sniper Jr. Sorry I don't know a whole lot about the Sniper products. Is the Sniper Jr. good out of the box or does it need to be worked over? Also, I was on Darts website and see they have a 380 CNC head available. Does anyone know anything about them and I am not sure if they would benefit my 540 or not.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:43 PM
obsessedtruck
JUNIOR BUILDER

We did a 530 for guy with those heads and what a pain in the ass.. Need special vavle covers, Jesel rocker shaft sys, special intake(raised runner),18* pistons,lifters were a trick. I ended up using big chief offsets for that. IMO, if you are looking for a NEW set of heads call Curtis Boggs!! I don't think those heads are worth it in a truck pulling appl. Theres better if you have to stay with conv. heads. go with spread ports if allowed
Old 12-04-2007, 03:03 PM
montec468
APPRENTICE

Did you use these 380 CNC heads? The reason I ask is that this is the first time I have seen these heads on their website. I did see a Dart 383 heads before on their website that were not CNC machined, but I have not seen it on their new site, or are they the same heads?
Old 12-04-2007, 03:24 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by obsessedtruck
We did a 530 for guy with those heads and what a pain in the a$$.. Need special vavle covers, Jesel rocker shaft sys, special intake(raised runner),18* pistons,lifters were a trick. I ended up using big chief offsets for that. IMO, if you are looking for a NEW set of heads call Curtis Boggs!! I don't think those heads are worth it in a truck pulling appl. Theres better if you have to stay with conv. heads. go with spread ports if allowed
I think them are the new dart 360's, the dart 380's arent anything special. My motor guy put them on his 582 identical to my 582 and it was a higher hp then mine with BMF 385's. The dart 355 is a very good head for a 540 CI motor. As far as the sniper intakes they are decent out of box compaired to a super victor, but both do have some room to be had with a little work.