Confused

Old 08-05-2013, 10:31 AM
cervidog
CRAFTSMAN

Default Confused

Hello all,I am going back together with my 408 inch small block Chevy and used a couple of those cam recommendation cards from from three cam co's. everyone came back with,yes we have cams for your setup but, if you would consider going to a higher stall converter we have better cams.Well I am not understanding what I will get by going from a 2700 stall to a 5000. I know I 'm wrong ,I just ain't gettin it.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:13 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Would need to know all about the car and combo to answer that questions ?
2700 rpm is street car area, is that what it is ?
Old 08-06-2013, 11:28 AM
cervidog
CRAFTSMAN

This is a foot brake drag race only car.Th400 manual valve body,4:5.6 gear,29" tallX9"wide slicks,gutted out 80 Malibu bracket bomber.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:26 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Confused

Originally Posted by cervidog
Hello all,I am going back together with my 408 inch small block Chevy and used a couple of those cam recommendation cards from from three cam co's. everyone came back with,yes we have cams for your setup but, if you would consider going to a higher stall converter we have better cams.Well I am not understanding what I will get by going from a 2700 stall to a 5000. I know I 'm wrong ,I just ain't gettin it.

The Tq converter is scientific and even then after crunching all the numbers a converter many times will need to be sent back for minor adjustments after running in the car...there is Just no way to 100% determine or duplicate a converters performance and how it will react in the actual car.

As David said the rpm range you mentioned is more of a steet /light strip rpm range but too many variables for me to get into all that but them again I have Known sveral guys in the past run a 2,000 stahl in a healty NOS Motor...several different situations will lossen these things up when under power..

If I could recommend a company I have used personally with much success along with several other 10.5 racers..I recommend you to call Hughes converter. I have been well satisfied with them..I have used the following companies in the past to compare...J&W, TCI, ATI,Turbo Action, A local converter Guy...By far Hughes has out performed the 4 companies I mentioned above by far...

DO NOT buy an off the shelf converter...It cost NO more to have the converter customer made. according to the weight of the car, camshaft,gear, tire size, etc... keep in mind this will only get them in the ball park but you might get close enough to where you can live without the fine tunning. This is the scientific part...The R@D is on your end

hope this helps.

google Hughes if you are interested.

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "