Hello Texas!

Old 09-19-2013, 06:25 PM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Default Hello Texas!

The wife and I just got into the motel in Waxahachie. Looks like tomorrows drag racing is gonna get washed out with a 90% chance of rain all day

We are going to head back into Dallas in the morning to check out the Gas Monkey Garage and the newly opened Gas Monkey Bar & Grill. Plan on hitting the Kennedy museum at the book depository on the way back.

So far Saturdays weather looks good and we are really looking forward to the DRAW auction Saturday night. Feels good to be out of Illinois and get a nitro fix this weekend. I will post up some pics as soon as the weather breaks.

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 09-19-2013, 06:43 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

You and the Misses have Fun. Sounds like a well planned trip !

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 09-20-2013, 03:05 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

I hope you guys have a good time while you are down that way. I hope the parking down there doesn't get too bad for you guys. Last time I was there we parked in a cotton field that had been harvested. On a plus note the cars should be flying this weekend.

Curtis
Old 09-20-2013, 05:17 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

I got lucky Curtis, scored a gold key parking pass from DRAW that puts me inside the gates on the west side in the pits.
We ran into Tim Wilkerson this morning at the motel, the wife and I have been part of the Wilk's Warriors for years since his shop is about an hour from our house. It was pretty cool since he recognized us from working with DRAW. What a way to start the day!
The forecast says it may clear up in the late afternoon so they might get at least 1 round of Pro qualifying in tonight. Top Fuel at night in Texas would be great!

Old 09-20-2013, 11:59 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

He is one of my favorite racers. I always root for Tim. I have seen him a few times here in Tulsa also. Glad you will be on solid ground.

Curtis
Old 09-20-2013, 01:45 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Have fun Harb!!
Old 09-20-2013, 03:08 PM
Swiley383
RACING JUNKIE

I got to try to make it a race next year I have not been in 10 years maybe Indy or Bristol those are close.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Friday was rained out but Saturday and Sunday were beautiful days to say the least. Ran around all morning get ready for Saturday nights DRAW auction. We found out that morning we would be auctioning off a "shadow day" with Alexis DeJoria and Jack Beckman to the highest bidder! The DRAW booth was a buzz with all the people checking out the 57 Chevy pitcar and then I got to ride (towed unfortunatly) over to the Champions club to get it ready for auction.

I got a chance to hang out at the starting line during the 1st round of qualifying on Saturday, that made my day.

Now the wifes day was even better, we had a little help at the booth that morning. One of the people was Sharon Smith, she is the wife of Paul Smith who owns and operates a Funny Car driven by Blake Alexander. Her and my wife hit it right off and the next thing you know the wife is off to sit in their pit van during the second round of qualifying. She started off in the pits, went up to the starting line, watched Blake suit up, watched the launch, went down to the finish line for the pickup, across the scales and back to the pits with the whole team! She was so wound up and useless the rest of the damn day but I did not care, she got to scratch a big one off her bucket list! The pics are kinda blurry cause her phone lens was dirty but you will get what happened.

I am still working on getting all the pics together from the auction so it may be a little bit. We did raise $57,000 that night so it was a HUGE success :!:

Old 09-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Swiley383
RACING JUNKIE

Rasing money for a good cause meeting great people it dosent get much better.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:58 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

GREAT for your wife to get that experience of a lifetime !
And a BIG KUDOS to you BOTH for doing what you do ! Thanks for the field report and updates

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -