Hilbourne Injection System

Old 11-07-2007, 06:08 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

(It is a hat with 2 big butterflies and after I get it adjusted then I need to work on a problem about the gas pedal being so hard to press down. With it not running the pedal can be pressed with one finger, with it running you gave to kick it with your heel just to get it going.)

This helps,
you should have a wide open and a closed throttle stop independent of the barrel valve and you need to set the idle throttle stop, with a .005 feeler gage between the butterflys and the injection opening to keep the butterflys from from locking up when closed, also set the WOT stop to keep it from going over center when open. i set all the butterflys on a stacks with a .002 feeler gage. on my blown alky engine i set the idle stop with a .005 feeler gage and it's a 3 hole buzzard catcher.
You may be closing off all the air except what can be comming in through shaft bores to the engine, this would definately make it idle too rich.

Just my opinion

Zip.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:08 AM
dak697
MASTER BUILDER

I think Zip is right. If the butterflies are not set right, when the motor is running they maybe pulled shut. I have seen the same problem on stack injection.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:02 AM
racroom
JOURNEYMAN

How well does this system work with all the pro electronics? I will be bracket racing and was wondering when on the transbrake and leaving at 4500 rpm's the butterflies will be wide open will this put to much fuel in the motor?
Old 11-11-2007, 12:14 PM
racroom
JOURNEYMAN

When you were talking about the clearance on the butterflies you said .005 would be ok, does that mean all the way around or just at the top and bottom. I checked mine and about 1/3 of the top and about that at the bottom was .oo5 and from the to the butterflie shaft there was no clearance at all. What do you think and what should I do if there is suppose to be some. If needed I can order some from Hilbourne for about $6.50 each.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:16 PM
racroom
JOURNEYMAN

Looks like I an getting somewhere with the adjusts on the system now.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:04 PM
mokie48
SHOW GUEST

assuming your set up has all right componets lined up, pump size, nossels, correct high seed jet. remember your barrel valve controls the idle richness, there is also an idle pop of spring usually, but your barrel valve will make idle fat or lean. On cold start sometime you may want to lean out this after inital start to warm up motor some guys will adjust manual shut down valve to do this. After it is warmed up you want to lean it out, you may have to back down idel set to lower rpms, untit it does not stuble on throttle wack, if it stumbles, make it fatter. fuel injection is kinda like making love to woman you have to make it happy and the benifit are there. On other thing you might consider if you can run electronice or transbrake, put a throttle limiter in the linkage that engagen when trans brake is applyed, set to desired stall rpm. Get on that has a adjustable air bleed so on release it will open throttle as fast or as slow that you adjust that air bleed. Much easier on converter and you wont blow tires off on bad track condition. You main jet controls the high speed side, forget high speed by pass until you get it prety well dialed in.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:25 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Best money you will spend in your education process:

http://www.racecarbook.com/

Bob's books are simply awesome. He lays it out in simple terms. Most of the examples are supercharged, but all of the principles and formulas will work with F/I or N/A.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:42 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Like OBG says, self education is the best money ever spent.

I've been running blown and injected or injected for over 40 yrs. and in the beginning i'm not going to say it was easy, but within a yr. one day i woke up and slapped myself in the head and said DUH!!! how cool is that. now it's easier than tripping over a log. It took me a yr. to set a world record in 1966 in A/Modified Sports and i never looked back, be it blown alcohol,blown gas, or injected on gas or alcohol, it's just a learning curve and for me they are every bit as easy as carberators.

JMO

Zip.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:48 AM
davis419b
EXPERT BUILDER

LISTEN TO ZIPPER 06 HE KNOWS !!
Old 12-12-2007, 08:46 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by zipper06
Like OBG says, self education is the best money ever spent.

I've been running blown and injected or injected for over 40 yrs. and in the beginning i'm not going to say it was easy, but within a yr. one day i woke up and slapped myself in the head and said DUH!!! how cool is that. now it's easier than tripping over a log. It took me a yr. to set a world record in 1966 in A/Modified Sports and i never looked back, be it blown alcohol,blown gas, or injected on gas or alcohol, it's just a learning curve and for me they are every bit as easy as carberators.

JMO

Zip.
Zip why don't you re-post your world record certificate from the 60's..you did it a long time ago on the old board...

its cool to post this type thing......
Zip has been doing this racing game since most people on here was just a gleem in your parents eye...and parents,parents eye....lol.........

just sharing the luv zIP.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -