ladder bar help

Old 01-03-2010, 04:49 PM
amcjunky
JOURNEYMAN

sorry i should have menchened i will be running coil overs to ( q1a's ) and i was planning on getting everything installed and removing the leaf springs after sorry for the confusion.

My problem i am having now is the front crossmemeber is to low right now. its the square ( 2" X 3" i beleave) one. its sitting 5 1/4" below my frame right now and i am scared of it catching on stuff when i go over hills and what not since its in the middle of my car. should i take some pictures?

thanks justin
Old 01-03-2010, 07:12 PM
cam67152
MASTER BUILDER

Pictures are good
Old 01-03-2010, 08:06 PM
cam67152
MASTER BUILDER

Here are a couple picture, hopefully its som help. The brackets and bottom of the x-membre are 3" below the bottom of my rockers.

cam67152
Old 01-04-2010, 03:40 PM
amcjunky
JOURNEYMAN

ok so its my inexperiance that is causing this i think. My car has quite an angle on it when it sits on all fours. and what i have done is took that angle out and made the car leveling the car itself( took the weight iof all four wheels.

So to correct this i think i need to put the engine and tranny back in ( took it out to go threw the engine and give it a freshin up) and put the weight back on all four tires to get that angle back. and that should move that cross memeber up.

i hope that all makes sence sorry iam not good with words :P
Old 01-04-2010, 07:11 PM
cam67152
MASTER BUILDER

x-member is WAY to low. you need to mark a 2" strip on the floor and cut it out, or get a different x-member. Are you tubbing this car? or just installing the bars? the bottom of the x-member (the outside edge not the drop section)sould be even or CLOSE to even with the bottom of the rockers. it looks like it has to come up at least 3"
Old 01-04-2010, 07:56 PM
cam67152
MASTER BUILDER

Are there any suspension guys out there to help out Mr.AMC :?:
Old 01-04-2010, 08:21 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

I would help him but I am new to the racing suspensions and all that. So I dont know about them.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:51 PM
cam67152
MASTER BUILDER

If you are running coilovers you'll be able to set the rear of your car were you want it

:lol: :lol: :lol: sorry, just having a little fun :wink:

cam67152
Old 01-04-2010, 09:15 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Boy howdy that crossmember is waaaaay too low. You'd hook on a speed bump and would never get it on or off of a trailer.
I see that you have the rear end sitting on jack stands. That means the rear suspension as it is set up NOW is in full compression. If the driveline was installed it would clear the crossmember as you have it mocked up in the pics, BUT the crossmember is too low. If you were to lower the rear suspension, you could install a straight crossmember instead of the dipped one as shown. Another way is to use a round tube crossmember which will give a tad more ground clearance.
Step one is to set the car up on jackstands and make a reference diagram for your actual desired ride height. That also includes exactly where the rear axle will be and may require disconnecting the shocks and making setup bars to go in place of the shocks, or using 3/4" allthread in place of the shocks to compress the rear springs to your desired ride height. Install the trans without the engine, then install the driveshaft. Now you can see where and how much room you have to work with. Don't forget to leave enough clearance for the driveshaft when the rear suspension is completely unloaded.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:30 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Mine looks about like this one.My bar is in the bottom hole and is level with the ground.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -