Forklift help

Old 07-20-2010, 09:50 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Default Forklift help

I have a older clark forklift and the mast works perfect for lifting up and down, but it always leans forward as soon as you let go of the control lever.

If you pic up a load and you tilt it back, as soon as you let go of the lever it starts tilting forward till it extends the two cylinders all the way forward. It will tilt forward or backward perfectly, just as soon as you let go, gravity pulls on the mast and forward it comes.

Where do you think my fluid leak is, in the spool valve or in the tilt cylinders?

Thanks keith
Old 07-20-2010, 10:38 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Is this a trick question? :wink:

I'm gonna go with the spool valve, if the cylinder was bleeding by that much, something tells me it wouldnt be working right at all but what do I know>Cp
Old 07-21-2010, 04:21 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

spool valve is hung open so it thinks you have the tilt lever forward all the time. might be a simple "take apart and clean" fix.

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 07-21-2010, 05:20 AM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Do you know if the spool valve has some o rings or sealing rings on it? The mast does not fall forward, but after about 30 secs it has tilted all the way forward. Thanks again.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:21 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

depends on the forklift, some of them are not servicable and you have to replace the unit, some are seals and some are o-rings. the only way to find out is to dig into it. if its bleeding off slowly like you say, its probably a torn seal or oring. couls also be a piece of dirt caught in the valve...

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 07-21-2010, 12:28 PM
deward
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Forklift

Okay, I have to ask; has this affected your 1/4 mile times? Is it faster with the forks tilted forward or tilted backward? LOL.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:02 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

If it still tilts back fine, it's probably in the valve or even the linkage sticking. Most the time the valve body is covered in a bunch of dirt so it's easy to hang up or get dirt in it. You could put a pressure guage on it to check it to be sure.
It could happen, but not common for both cylinders to go bad at the same time.
BTW I hate working on forklifts. You have to bend over almost all the time no matter what your doing to 'em.

And I think your 60' times will be faster with the forks tilted down. lol
Old 07-21-2010, 03:20 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

if you install AMC control valves it will go alot slower --but -- you probably have TOYOTA valves and they stick in foward all the time and you loose control ops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

FORK LIFTS ARE A PAIN IN THE UUUUHUH AT TIMES
Old 07-21-2010, 04:00 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

i actually just put a gm powersteering pump and a gm alternator on it. 8)
Old 07-21-2010, 04:37 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

i had a forklift i used that had been converted to the one wire alternator and POWER STEERING,TOO--IT MADE THINGS ALOT SIMPLER 8) 8)
alot easier when you needed to repair things ops: ops:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -