rear coilover

Old 02-02-2011, 04:21 PM
spib
RACING JUNKIE

Default rear coilover

looking to up grade rear shocks and go with a true coil over looking at strange and
a QA1
any comments on either one,both are way better then the one I got with back half kit a few yrs ago

http://www.swracecars.com/store/Stra...98=50-051.aspx

http://www.swracecars.com/store/QA-1...6=50-019A.aspx
Old 02-02-2011, 05:19 PM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Rear coil overs

I like Koni or Strange and strange will service/repair them. Strange was copied after Koni I believe. I have ran both with no issues. My present car has QA1 on both ends with no issues.

I have heard QA1 has issues with leaks and when you send them in they are not repairable sometimes, but that is hear say.

I vote for Strange.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:51 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

I've never tried strange shocks, but see more and more guys running them. The only thing I didn't like was you had to order spring with the shocks. I already have plenty of springs. You may be able to get them seperate, but all three places I looked that's how they were sold.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:37 AM
spib
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by TheRabbit
I've never tried strange shocks, but see more and more guys running them. The only thing I didn't like was you had to order spring with the shocks. I already have plenty of springs. You may be able to get them seperate, but all three places I looked that's how they were sold.
summit, jegs and s&w sell just the shocks , you have to buy the springs seperate
Old 02-03-2011, 05:40 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

We have cars with Strange dbl adj and QA-1 singles. I like the Strange units better based on the difference between the clicks. Both have served us well this is the only way I have been able to come to a conclusion as to which is better.

To quantify, the Strange units are on a 2700lb Nova that runs 9.40s, 4-link and 14-31 tires. The QA-1s are on my personal roadster that runs 9.50s @2050, 4-link, 14-33's.

Since my car is not really that fast I could probably get away with just about any shock on it, that's why it is hard for my to decide which is a better shock. If I were to buy a set, these came with the car, I would probably buy Afco or Strange Dbls.

Curtis
Old 02-03-2011, 05:43 AM
itsabird
RACING JUNKIE

I run strange double adj, out back, and qa-1 singles up front and like the adjustibility on both.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:03 AM
spib
RACING JUNKIE

we are building my wife a back halfed s10 truck this next yr so I needed to buy ladderbar and coilover shocks for her, so I am giving her my old basic set up and going to a true coilover, will be single adjustable, but better then my cheapos, I am only mid 10's so not very fast but , I am a bracket racer so will upgrade
this is what I ordered today, on the way
http://www.jegs.com/i/Strange+Engine...S5206/10002/-1
Old 02-03-2011, 09:33 AM
itsabird
RACING JUNKIE

Find the sweet spot on adjustments, and your short times should improve, thus better et.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:16 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by spib
Originally Posted by TheRabbit
summit, jegs and s&w sell just the shocks , you have to buy the springs seperate
Jegs and summit were two of the places I looked.

Quantity Sold as a pair.
Notes Specify spring rate before ordering.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/STR-S5006/