HOW TO MEASURE AXLE LENGTH

Old 08-15-2007, 03:25 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

Default HOW TO MEASURE AXLE LENGTH

I HAVE 2--- 9' HOUSINGS AND NO AXLES YET---NEED TO KNOW BEST WAY TO MEASURE FOR AXLE LENGTHS-----SIMPLE WAY NOT SOMETHING I CANNOT UNDERSTAND----I TRIED A CALCULATOR ON CURRIES SITE AND IT DID NOT GIVE ME ANYTHING---HELP IS NEEDED HERE----LENGTH ON ONE IS 44" TO END OF FLANGES/ THE OTHER IS 50'TO END OF FLANGES---BOTH OFFSET 1 1/2' LONGER ON PASSENGER SIDE-THEY WILL HAVE DRUM BRAKES--THANKS LIVELY
Old 08-15-2007, 07:42 PM
mcracecars
EXPERT BUILDER

ah, the ol, how to measure axles and get em right the first time trick...
Best to call whoever you are getting the axles from and give them ALL the details,
are those measurements flange to flange or housing end to housing end, I mean is the rear ends assembled with the stock axles in, or you have no axles at all and just a bare housing?
the guy at strange, I think Jim is his name, is very helpful,
Old 08-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Racefab57
DYNO OPERATOR

Id stay away from moser, I gave them all the info they asked for, and for a 9" ford diff, they sent me equal length axles! called them and they said that doesnt seem right, but we-(moser) dont make mistakes!, well they made one that time but,I ate them axles!!!! never have gone back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im a strange dealer now and forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! david.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:51 PM
mcracecars
EXPERT BUILDER

David, another guy probably got 2 axles that were 3" shorter than yours....lol
I never delt with moser....he spells his name wrong anyway....strange has been always good to deal with, very helpful there.