oil brand

Old 03-09-2013, 08:49 AM
ddf419
SHOW GUEST

Default oil brand

I'm woundering what brand of oil the circle track guys run and rpm the motors sees.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:34 PM
bubbabbc
JUNIOR BUILDER

Brad Penn 20W50 in the DIRT modifieds, asphalt supermodifieds, small block modifiers, and dirt sprint cars, both 360 and 410. As high as 8700 in the small blocks.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:08 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

http://www.schaefferoil.com/
Old 03-10-2013, 09:27 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

Most of the NASCAR guys run Joe Gibbs racing oil. There's another brand they also use, but I can't remember the name of the maker/blender. He's out of Denver, I think . . (Edit: Just read hammertime's full post. That's the guy)

High RPM engines with flat tappet cams generally use high Zinc content oils, and it really looks like black chunks of mud in the oil pans. We generally use the GM "Startup" oil X 2 in our first warmup. That and the engine assembly Lube makes the oil look like swamp water when you drain it . .

That's also why the T/F guy's oil looks so bad . . They have a ton of that additive in the oil on every pass, or so I've been told by a couple of the crew chiefs . . Now that's on a "good" pass . .

Gotta say, I've never seen anything worn out by overlubrication . . .
Old 03-11-2013, 04:08 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

NASCAR mostly runs Joe Gibbs XP0 or XP1. $20 a quart for me and you. :shock:
Just so happens my engine builder use to be one of engine builders for Joe Gibbs. He was actually the cylinder head guy.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:48 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

Yeah, one of my best sources is one of the cylinder head development guys for Hendrick.

Us drag racers kind of get the hind tit when it comes to engine development and the stuff it takes to make an engine live . . And the NASCAR guys aren't to good about spreading any know how around . . Most of the stuff we're doing now, NASCAR was doing 10 years ago . .

Of course we can't spend several million developing a new head or lower end, either!
Old 03-12-2013, 04:43 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

One of the things that make NASCAR engines survive and run 9,000 rpm's is the same cam lift, and lighter spring seat pressure, with them running anywhere from 1.8 to 2.1 rocker ratios. Ofcourse we can't use those kinds of rocker ratio's due to the heads design used in drag racing, we couldn't find a way to get the push rods thru the heads.

JMO

Zip.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:51 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by zipper06
One of the things that make NASCAR engines survive and run 9,000 rpm's is the same cam lift, and lighter spring seat pressure, with them running anywhere from 1.8 to 2.1 rocker ratios. Ofcourse we can't use those kinds of rocker ratio's due to the heads design used in drag racing, we couldn't find a way to get the push rods thru the heads.

JMO

Zip.
Dunno 'bout that . . The technology is starting to bleed down to us. I do the graphics and paint design for two Bonneville cars and they're using Gen II and III Bowtie engines with all the NASCAR science from Hendrick. You just have to be able to afford the used and "out of date" stuff the NASCAR racers have to sell (there's a lot of it) and have a source for the parts and information. It does help to have some friends on the "inside" . .

On the cams and valve train stuff . . Average rocker ratios are 1:9 on a Gen II Bowtie 355, with a very short valve angle . . The cams look like something out of a stock 59A Ford Flathead. Hardly has "bumps" . . and they run about 125# of seat pressure with little incremental pressure increase at the open. And everything in the valve train is exceedingly light, (of course) almost apperaing to be "Frail" . .

For those of us who are used to the heavy duty Drag Race technology those engines are kinda like looking at a "Ladies watch" . . . But when you consider what they do with them, they're pretty respectable engines. As is the technology.

And they'll work as normally aspirated drag racing engines. Consider this. On the start or restart, they're at 55-60 mph, third gear, rolling. Punch it and you'll spin the tires! With a 3200# car!

They just need to get them to where we can afford 'em . .

On the oil, it has come a long way from the Valvoline 50 wt we used to use in the Jr. Fueler in 1965.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:24 AM
coloradoracerguy
SENIOR BUILDER

Amsoil Dominator racing oil. As good or better than any of the others out there. Just something to think about.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:54 PM
ddf419
SHOW GUEST

I guess I'm looking for a good oil with good Zinc and Phosphorous content plus good Viscosity @40 & @100. That well work with NOS and Ethanol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -