Turbo 400 vs. Powerglide

Old 06-28-2007, 09:34 AM
JLSTOEC
APPRENTICE

Default Turbo 400 vs. Powerglide

Im wondering what will be better ET and MPH wise behind my new engine. I want something that will handle 1000+hp so I can upgrade and not worry about breakage. Which would you go with and what manufacturer? What components? Any idea what it will run? Traction has been an issue with lower power BBC's with a turbo 400. Either the launch is great on some tracks or its a skating rink at others. I appreciate any help.

Drag Race Only
3200 pound Chevelle
825hp at 7000 rpm 540ci
5500 stall
4.10 Gear
29.5x11.5 Hoosier
Adjustable upper control arms
Old 06-28-2007, 12:02 PM
alscoupe
SENIOR BUILDER

Glides are best I think.

Hey guys, brings up a question 'cause I'm in the market myself. Whatta ya'll know about "Abruzzi". Runs RJ ads, looks like quality at a good price and I ain't heard nothing negative. They sound cool and helpful. My local tranny guru left after Katrina. What'cha think?

AL
Old 06-28-2007, 02:05 PM
topsportsman1
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

They look like a good deal to me,but If you call find out a break down of the parts inside of them for that price.It might be worth your while to check them out,if you do let us all know whats in them for aftermarket parts.They do look like a decent deal to me.Altho I bought one of the T/S ones,the 5000 series glides,them are real tough too,for a little bit more money,but I always say you pay for what you get.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:22 PM
blown375
APPRENTICE

Default glide vs. turbo400

Call Marco Abruzzi . Marco runs and wins championships with what he builds and has great service ! Just about everything that he uses is BTE parts.
Marco stands behind his work !
I bought a top dog glide from Abruzzi with all the upgrades and it had a problem in the first few passes , It was a freak thing that happened , a spring that was over hardened from the factory broke and put metal all thru the transmission. Marco had me send the transmission back to him .Marco apologized for the inconvenience and sent me another brand new glide and he payed the freight. The new transmission has been flawless and I'm putting well over 1000 Hp to it.
Bob Frigon
Old 06-28-2007, 04:45 PM
alscoupe
SENIOR BUILDER

Outstanding Blown375!

And, that's what I thought. Reason I said I was figuring on making a purchase from 'em. All their spec stuff was right on and when I called about details and shipping, they were helpfull, courteous, super nice. Even their shipping sounded like a deal.

I'm with you, I vote 5 stars! Way to do business Marco, thumbs up!

P.S. My order's on the way

Thanx,
AL
Old 06-28-2007, 04:56 PM
blown375
APPRENTICE

you can see that I was putting some power and hook to his powerglide in the video in my Racingjunk ad #908921 .
Old 06-28-2007, 05:14 PM
lanham
MASTER BUILDER

JLSTOEC go with a powerglide.If you live close to KY there is a guy that builds real good powerglides here.Other places to check are BTE or trans-specialties.Good luck.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:49 PM
gyrogearloose
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Re: Turbo 400 vs. Powerglide

Originally Posted by JLSTOEC
Im wondering what will be better ET and MPH wise behind my new engine. I want something that will handle 1000+hp so I can upgrade and not worry about breakage. Which would you go with and what manufacturer? What components? Any idea what it will run? Traction has been an issue with lower power BBC's with a turbo 400. Either the launch is great on some tracks or its a skating rink at others. I appreciate any help.

Drag Race Only
3200 pound Chevelle
825hp at 7000 rpm 540ci
5500 stall
4.10 Gear
29.5x11.5 Hoosier
Adjustable upper control arms
You can get some very good Power Glides that will handle 1000hp with no problem. How ever, I have heard several times that you are pushing the limits of a PG at 3000 lbs and up. (performance and reliability wise) A glide weights less than the 400, but some times you can get better performance and better ETs with the three gear setup.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:44 PM
mountie
SHOW GUEST

What about a 200R4? They can hold 1,000hp. Built correctly.