Powerglide going forward in reverse gear??

Old 03-09-2010, 01:55 PM
shovelheadsporty
SHOW GUEST

Default Powerglide going forward in reverse gear??

I just finished rebuilding my glide. I put it all back in and fired up the engine, everything seems to be working great.....with the exception of when I put the car in reverse, it still goes forward. not sure what I did wrong....please help.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:08 PM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

I broke my pg last year. It would go forward in every gear but first. They said it exploded the planetary. It was locked up tight in first like the tranny brake was on.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:57 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Is this with the car on the jackstands or on the ground? Does this have a pro brake in it?
Old 03-10-2010, 07:27 AM
shovelheadsporty
SHOW GUEST

Originally Posted by shawnp
Is this with the car on the jackstands or on the ground? Does this have a pro brake in it?
It is on the jackstands. I kicked it up to around 3 grand and it still goes forward. No brake in the tranny.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:30 AM
shovelheadsporty
SHOW GUEST

Originally Posted by slowmotion
I broke my pg last year. It would go forward in every gear but first. They said it exploded the planetary. It was locked up tight in first like the tranny brake was on.
This tranny was doing OK, just tore it completely down, freshened it, and put it back together. Took it back out last night and tore it completely back apart. Planetary is fine.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:58 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

My only thought without seeing it is the band is being bound up and not letting reverse fully apply or there is a seal/gasket that has tore but man, this one baffles me. Let me know what you fount when you pulled it back apart.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:05 AM
shovelheadsporty
SHOW GUEST

Originally Posted by shawnp
My only thought without seeing it is the band is being bound up and not letting reverse fully apply or there is a seal/gasket that has tore but man, this one baffles me. Let me know what you fount when you pulled it back apart.
I pulled it back apart last night. It looks fine. I'm baffles too. I have "The Glidemaster" coming over tomorrow night to put it back together from scratch, then I will re-install it. Maybe it will be ok then. I'll let you know.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:56 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

Sounds like a reverse clutch problem to me. The band probably has enough drag to let the wheels turn forward with it on jackstands if the reverse clutch doesn't apply. I'd guess a cut seal on the reverse piston or waaaay to much clearance in the clutch pack. Are you sure it's full of fluid?
Johnny
Old 03-10-2010, 12:28 PM
shovelheadsporty
SHOW GUEST

Originally Posted by johnracer
Sounds like a reverse clutch problem to me. The band probably has enough drag to let the wheels turn forward with it on jackstands if the reverse clutch doesn't apply. I'd guess a cut seal on the reverse piston or waaaay to much clearance in the clutch pack. Are you sure it's full of fluid?
Johnny
Yeah, It's full of fluid. It has brand new clutches, steels, pistons, everything in it. Just put it back together with all new stuff. I was told that if the clutches were too tight in the pack that it could cause that. They didnt seem to be too tight, but i guess we will see.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Robstclair
APPRENTICE

You didn't have a funny shaped piece of 5/16 steel tubing left over did you? it sounds like maybe you left out the reverse apply tube from the valve body to the case?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -