350 Turbo to 400 Turbo in a '67 Camaro Big Block

Old 03-15-2009, 05:19 AM
Sixty7camaro
SHOW GUEST

Default 350 Turbo to 400 Turbo in a '67 Camaro Big Block

I broke the turbo 350 in my '67 Camaro and want to swap to a turbo 400. I know the 400 was a factory option and the swap should be simple. What will I need besides the obvious: Transmisson, yoke, shortened driveshaft, crossmember. If I use a manual/automatic valve body, will I still need to have a kickdown switch? I plan to purchase a Super Streetfighter 400 from TCI. I can use my nearly new 2600 stall converter and flexplate from the 350. The motor in the car is a .060 over 454, comp. hyd. roller cam (don't know the specs.), oval port heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold, Edelbrock 750 carb. HEI ignition. Recently rebuilt the rear end. It is a 8.5" with 3.73 gears, new eaton posi, new axles, bearings, etc.
Thanks!
Old 03-15-2009, 05:39 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

The crossmember will be the same, just farther back. I think the bolt holes will be there. You won't "need" the kickdown switch, but for automatic shifting you might like it. Without it you'll have to downshift for passing etc...
You really should have the convertor inspected & cleaned before installing on a new trans. If it's not an expensive race unit, I'd replace it. May have debris from th350 failure in it that will ruin new trans.
Johnny
Old 03-15-2009, 05:55 AM
gnsrule
SENIOR BUILDER

a 400 was a factory option back in 67 ? I thought only a glide and a 350 were available back then...i could be wrong tho.
Good luck w/ the swap.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:59 AM
Sixty7camaro
SHOW GUEST

What converter would you suggest? I do not race the car regularly.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:09 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

If you're happy with the one you have, just get another one. For a street car, it should be fine....
Old 03-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Sixty7camaro
SHOW GUEST

The 350 did not fail completely. I lost low gear, every other gear including reverse was good. The oil was not burnt, but I did have clutch material (dust) in the pan. The converter is relatively new. It is a Midwest racing converter, furnace brazed vanes, etc. Can I just flush it out with solvent and then fresh transmission oil?
Old 03-15-2009, 01:40 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

just pour some Fluid out of the converter into a pan or something you can inspect it..you will see if there is anything in there ..also check the pan of the 350 that exploded..if there is no metal shavings in the pan (dust i would not be that concerned with).
Yes The 350 and 400 inout shafts are the same. ( converter will work on both)

i would not buy an off the shelf converter...call and have you a custom one built for your set up...the cost will be about the same anyway.

Just reember a converter makes all the difference in how a car performs.

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "