Gasser 'Vette !

Old 03-25-2013, 06:10 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by MoonshadowRacing
Originally Posted by zipper06
Originally Posted by bigray
how do you load up the pics to this thread ???
Go here and sign up for an account, then it will ask you if you want to upload pics or movies. You have to have the oics stored to you computer, after you upload the pics save to libary, it will then give you severl codes to pick from, copy the image code and copy and paste the RJ and the pic will pop up.

On the vette subject, they look good but i'll guatentee they won't handle. When i first built my 56 T'bird with a blown 365" chevy in 1964, i put a straight monoleaf axle front end in it. The car in those days only ran 10.60/10.70 @131 MPH. It skated so bad i was off of it more than on it, over the winther it 1965 i built a VW front end and put it under the car. It immediately went almost 4 ths faster and as fast as 10.22@148 MPH and ran straigh as a bullit, and set a National record in Aug. 1966, with 10.50 X 30" M&H slicks.

Those cars are pretty but ill handlers down the qtr. mile.

Zip.
Maybe in 1964 but not today. I just finished a '66 Chevy II with a straight axle & it drove, handled and raced just fine. Actually it drove a whole lot better than the original '66 front suspension did (I know that's not saying a lot). The technology available today is very much advanced over what was available in 1964. I'm still considering a straight axle for my Corvette. :lol:
MoonshadowRacing, I completely agree, todays parts are a lot more suficated, with coil over shocks and rack and pinion steering, it's probably pretty easy to get one to handle, but my T'bird was built along the lines of the first vette posted, rear wheels outside the fenders, front end jacked up 10 to 14"'s and a single monoleaf cross spring, matter of fact an early ford axle, weight transfer was almost none existent. I ran that car in the days of Stone,Woods, and Cook, George Mongomery,etc, and none of the cars handled that good. The VW torsional front end i put under it, i drilled about a 100 1/2 holes in it to lighten it,it really transferred the weight and it would hook anywhere. I had a ladder bar rear end with air bags, no springs.
About your Vette, i saw the pics. you posted that's a beautiful, and i betting if you put a straight axle under it you won't be jacking it up in the front like the other vettes posted on this thread :lol:

Zip.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:03 PM
MoonshadowRacing
APPRENTICE

Hope I don't get in trouble with the Mods for this as it's off topic but:

I love the look but agree that the early ones were very ill-handling...and no I probably won't put one under the Corvette :mrgreen:

I'd love to see a pic of your 'Bird if you have one.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:00 PM
MoonshadowRacing
APPRENTICE

Another one of the white Corvette...beautiful!

Old 03-26-2013, 08:57 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

MoonshadowRacing unfortunately i do not after 45 yrs 2 divorces, and a half doz. moves or more, i've lost all the pics. which i had which wasn't many to start with. I do have a first cousin who lives in Jacksonville Fl. that says he has a lot of footage on 8 MM movies of the car running at Rockford dragstrip Il. and Union grove Wis. i've been trying to get him to dig them out and send them too me so i can transfer them to a CD, it's i've been unable to get him to do so far.
I do have some vids of my 358" 1471, blown alcohol motor from a few yrs ago, it went 4.62 in the 1/8 before i burned down a piston due to a cracked cylinder and i haven't rebuilt it, still got all the pieces though. I've posted them on here a few times but it was before came on board.

I don't think you'll get in trouble with the mods, they seem to have disappeared.

Zip.

Hey i used to have one of those 66 nova's

Old 03-27-2013, 09:48 AM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Beautiful Vettes... beautiful gassers.

I see that photo is at Firebird raceway. I spent a lot of time there during high school in the late 80's. You could run just about anything on Wednesdays as long as it had a good windshield & seat belt. Great times; warm sunny nights & the smell of rubber in the air... doesn't get any better. Have you been in AZ a long time Zip? Did you ever see Central Avenue in Phoenix on a Saturday night in the late 80's? Was like a rolling car show every weekend... miss those days.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:53 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Scooterz
Beautiful Vettes... beautiful gassers.

I see that photo is at Firebird raceway. I spent a lot of time there during high school in the late 80's. You could run just about anything on Wednesdays as long as it had a good windshield & seat belt. Great times; warm sunny nights & the smell of rubber in the air... doesn't get any better. Have you been in AZ a long time Zip? Did you ever see Central Avenue in Phoenix on a Saturday night in the late 80's? Was like a rolling car show every weekend... miss those days.
That photo was from the 1990 Az. Nationals, i was there practically every sat. nite and at phx. Raceway park on Sun. afternoon. I was the Firebird Track champion in 1084/1985 bracket #2 with a 1965 Malibu, i made a lot of money at Firebird with the Malibu and didn't do bad with the Nova either.

Zip.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:01 PM
MoonshadowRacing
APPRENTICE

Really like the Sedan Chevelle body. Nice lookin' Chevy II also.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:58 PM
MoonshadowRacing
APPRENTICE

Night racing!