New car...first time at track....need help

Old 04-09-2009, 05:36 PM
maydayneal
JOURNEYMAN

Originally Posted by doorracer
In your first post you said you verified that the peddle was bringing it to wide open throttle???
No...that was one in the list of items I was going to be checking.....good thing I did that first
Old 04-09-2009, 07:37 PM
THERATTLER
RACING JUNKIE

from past experiance , if a motor only misses under load it just might be the coil wire or perhaps the plug wires or even the wrong heat range plug,,,for what its worth , at least try these things and I think you will solve your problem...the throttle not opening all the way is not going to make it stumble..
Old 04-09-2009, 10:36 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

I'd bump your timing up more to 38 degrees and lock it out first.

Fixing the WOT issue will help it get going down the track better but will do nothing for your stumble.
To me it sounds like the accellerator pump circuit(s) need attention.
Make sure you dont have any slack in the arm(s) that operates the pumps, adjust the screw (longer) till you have zero slack and your getting a full shot as soon as you move the throttle blades.
I'd also reccomend a 50cc pump kit in the front of any all out racemotor, especially footbraking it.
There's more to tuning a accel pump circuit than meets the eye, different cams profiles, many different squirters sizes, etc it can get pretty involved in a hurry if this is uncharted territory with you then you might do well to get someone in the know to look at it with you.

Now you say it's hard to get cranked and keep running, especially in drive?
Is it loading up? idling to rich? Black smoke? Your eyes tearing up?
If it is then you'll get a bad bog simply because your plugs are all loaded up with fuel, You need to correct that as well either by setting the float levels correctly or by adjusting the idle mixture screws in or you could have blown power valve. Check for fuel drippiling out of the boosters at an idle.

This is going to be a process of elimination, only do one thing at a time if possible even though it may be a multitude of things causing your problem.
Next time you go to the track be prepared to make adjustments between rounds, leave what helps and put back what doesn't.
Goodluck, Cp
Old 04-10-2009, 04:20 AM
maydayneal
JOURNEYMAN

Thanks guys.....great thoughts and suggestions. I'll keep digging.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:23 PM
chevynovaman
SENIOR BUILDER

MY CAR WAS DOING THAT LAST YEAR, I WENT TO A FUEL CELL WITH A SUMP BUILT INTO IT, UNDER LOAD MY FUEL PRESSURE WOULD DROP RIGHT TO NOTHING. THE SUMP KEEPS MY FUEL LINE FULL NOW EVEN WHEN LOW ON GAS.. GET YOUR FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE WHERE YOU CAN SEE IT WHEN YOU RUN IT..
Old 04-10-2009, 03:48 PM
wlpatterson
EXPERT BUILDER

Default Banging out under load

I ran A ChevyII A few years back & had the same problem--This guy came over & handed me a set of plugs,The ones I was Running was too cold-I swear it fixed it the very next run--May not be your problem but its cheap to try-I also ran a msd6al-I also ran a little more timing than your running-38degrees