wont idle

Old 02-14-2010, 09:26 AM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

It might smoke if it is getting too much fuel and what you are seeing with the smoke is unburnt fuel. At least that is what I am thinking.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Bowhay the throttle blades have numbers on them ...and unless you have a spread bore carb the front and rear will be the same. Hard to troubleshoot from the internet but you cvould have the wrong gaskets or something causing an internal leak or something...I know Holley rebuild kits will often have several different sets of gaskets and you must match them up with the old ones .....I would put it all back exactly like it was and see if the trouble goes away...then start from there.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:51 PM
bowhay
EXPERT BUILDER

ok so i went and got a 3.5 valve and i put some smaller jets in it
gonna see what it does, got my fingers crossed lol
Old 02-14-2010, 05:58 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I just noticed you said you put 77 jets in it.. the jet size would have been 72 when that carb came from the factory.

http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...%20Listing.pdf
Old 02-15-2010, 10:08 AM
bowhay
EXPERT BUILDER

ok so i think ive found the problem.....
i put about 6 different powervalves in it....no change, smaller jets...no change, so i pull the plugs, they only have like 100 miles on them and they are all black as heck, a few have wet oil on them, there is a significant miss in the motor now so i think i have blown valve seals
because the oil in my pan is still golden brown and not burnt at all, so i doubt it would be the rings
what do u guys think?
any suggestions are greatly appreciated, i know ive been hard to deal with on here before and im sorry but i really need help
Old 02-15-2010, 10:14 AM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Well how old is the motor? Is it a new one? Is it old with a lot of miles on it? I am pretty sure that worn out rings wont cause the oil to be burnt. I could be wrong tho too. I would say do a compression test in all the cylinders to see if they are all good or not on that. It is somewhere to start and we can go from there.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:49 PM
bowhay
EXPERT BUILDER

k compression check showd tht the rings are all good
i figure valve seals are the only other culprate

the motor has about 1200miles on it and about 5 nitrous passes
Old 02-15-2010, 04:06 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bowhay
ok so the secondary idea makes sence
well heres what was done before all this stuff happened, i had a 650 on the truck, wanted a 750 and a friend had a main body and base plate from one so i took my blocks and bowls and put them on this 750 body, i took out the flaps to clean them up and when i put them back in there was a visible gap around the secondary flaps, so i think what may be happening is that fuel is just runnin through the secondaries cus the flaps are open a lil bit

and due to the fact that i have a lopey cam could tht make it to where i need a different valve?
Bowhay what size engine do you have now? Did the 650 carb work good? If so you have something out of adjustment. Either put the 650 back together or borrow a carb that you know works and try it.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:50 PM
bowhay
EXPERT BUILDER

i did, and nothing changed, so thts when i pulled the plugs and found oil
Old 02-15-2010, 05:12 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Dont use your weed eater mixed gas in your truck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -