565 in g-body

Old 11-26-2013, 04:15 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

You could always build a set to clear the heater/AC box. If you have some fab skills you can do the mock up and tack them together then have someone tig them together for you if needed.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:03 PM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

That's where I was going next . . In my area there's about three guys who can build a set of headers, although they're not "Lemons" or anything of that grade . .

OR . . . You can put the heater and A/C evaporator someplace else . . . 53 thru 64 Studes had the heater under the right front seat, as did the 55 through 58 Pontiac . . The '46 through about 1963 Rolls Royce Sedans had their A/C Evaporators in the trunk . . All of which involves fabrication, but of a different kind . .

In my own case, because there's not much room for access under the dash of a '34 Ford once you stuff an A/C unit under there, my eletrical panel is under the back seat cushion and the windshield wiper motor is behind the Right Rear Seatback.

When you have to have room for HP, there's other places for all the gingerbread!
Old 11-26-2013, 05:09 PM
BigRev1
APPRENTICE

The box was removed when I brought the car. But I want what I consider to be a real street car with heater, ac and cruise control. Before someone go off about that comment, it's just the way I see it.

I don't know enough about fabricating to be comfortable with doing my on headers. And I would rather have someone else deal with the headache or lack of one. I guess that it will have to sit at muffler shop to get some made. And again thanks guys.

I have already put all the new heater and ac stuff back on the car so I can try to have it ready to play with by the first of spring. Paid to much to take back off. I will just get custom made headers because out the box will not suit my application. I want to personally thank all for the comments.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:09 PM
bixblk
DYNO OPERATOR

Default 565 BBC

Is the 565 a tall deck 10.2 or a 9.8 deck, I think they are making those with both size blocks. that might make a difference when fitting things up too. I am assuming the 496 that was removed was a 9.8 deck (standard deck 454 .060 over with a 4.25 stroke)
Old 11-29-2013, 09:55 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Yuu may be able to use the Lamon headers but almost all the Loman headers requirwe that you remove the original motor mounts, even with the sm/blk engine, i have a set o Lamon heades for my 1980 Malibu that also requires the removable of the motor mounts, your's probable does also. I would check the fit before spending the money.

JMO

Zip.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:30 PM
BigRev1
APPRENTICE

Yes it is a short deck, if I was going to use tall desk it would have been a 632 . But I decided on the 565 to get 8 to 10 miles per gallon. Because it will be a trailer queen until it have to do track duty.

The lemon headers that was on the 496 was sold with the engine. Because they were blocking the heater and ac box. I got to have the best of both worlds, if it is physically possible. Because everybody know you can't look good in the hotrod sweating or with a coat on. LOL
Old 12-01-2013, 09:44 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by BigRev1
Yes it is a short deck, if I was going to use tall desk it would have been a 632 . But I decided on the 565 to get 8 to 10 miles per gallon. Because it will be a trailer queen until it have to do track duty.

The lemon headers that was on the 496 was sold with the engine. Because they were blocking the heater and ac box. I got to have the best of both worlds, if it is physically possible. Because everybody know you can't look good in the hotrod sweating or with a coat on. LOL
If it's Loud and Fast, and you're smiling, really, nobody cares whether you're cold or hot!

And you won't need a stereo . . . !
Old 12-01-2013, 05:58 PM
BigRev1
APPRENTICE

I want the ultimate street sleeper, you see a quiet car with the windows up in 80 or 90 degree weather and don't hear turbo or charger on it you think it's not much to it. LOL And not having a stereo system in the car would be like not having a bed in the RV.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:43 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

You said: "I want the ultimate street sleeper"

Tongue in cheek just a little here, but if thats the case, the engine is nowhere big enough . . A new Caddy will take you out . .
Old 12-03-2013, 05:08 PM
BigRev1
APPRENTICE

With 900 horsepower at the crank and 300 at the push of a button I doubt that will happen. That's what engine builder said crank hp should be. But I will know for sure in a couple weeks, when I go see it on the dyno.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -