IC length

Old 08-17-2010, 07:02 PM
henny
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default IC length

Is the IC length the same for two identical cars, but one with an auto and the other with a 5 speed?
thanks
Tom
Old 08-18-2010, 03:46 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

The rear chassis bar attachment points determine the IC not the trans. So would they have, if identical yes. Should they have, probably not.

Curtis
Old 08-18-2010, 07:00 AM
henny
JUNIOR BUILDER

Is there a rule of thumb for stick cars to auto's on the IC difference
I am trying to get a baseline...I had tried the car out 2 weeks ago, but had issues and still sorting it out. Going back again in sept...car is not going to be real fast..mid tens at best....once it is sorted out
thanks
Tom
Old 08-18-2010, 10:22 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

I'm no chassis expert I just have a small handle on basics. There is no rule of thumb in my opinion because every car is different, especially stick to auto, but there are basic starting points that guys can give knowing your combo.

Here is a link to an article by a much smarter man then me on suspension basics.

http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtopic.php?t=14778

There are some people on here that should be able to give you some better advice, but they will need more info about your combination. Wheelbase, suspension type, shock type, tire size, weight if known, etc..... as many things as you can think of.

What problems did you have with it?

Curtis
Old 08-18-2010, 01:25 PM
henny
JUNIOR BUILDER

Thanks again Curtis for your reply. I had the car out for the first time about 2 weeks ago. I had electrical problems all day and only got 3 passes on the car, just testing steering and brakes ...all was good
I had the IC set low and the bottom bar was not level...it did spin easy
I raised both bars at the front, the IC is the same, but about 48.5 ". The bottom bar is just over 1* down with me in the car now
I was told by another guy who has a vette, that not to go over a 49 IC with my power level. He has an auto, I have a 5 speed
I may need to alter or reconstruct my brkts, which is ok, but am curious on a baseline. We are going out again in Sept...still lots of things to sort out including me getting used to the car
Just trying to be as ready as I can for next time and one less thing to worry about. I will not have it sorted out this year or be as good with the 5 speed as I should..just taking a bit more each time.
I have not been in a fast car in a long time, so I am being careful, since I built just about everything on the car
thanks again
Tom
Old 08-18-2010, 01:33 PM
henny
JUNIOR BUILDER

I forgot to ad that I recently was given Ed's post and have the car up in the air right now to determine the weight balance point. I used to have it,, but lost it some time ago
I do not know the overall weight of the car though
Using Ed's method, I will see what I come up with
Old 08-18-2010, 02:47 PM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Some more good reading is The Chassis Book by Dave Morgan if you haven't read it yet.

I love clutch cars and wish we could still run one. The guys I race with used to run a Doug Nash 5 speed in a '66 Nova. I helped them with it for a short time until we ended up changing to a glide because that is the way bracket racing was heading. We do all of our own work also so I hope you get it lined out. Nothing better than running good with your own stuff.

Curtis
Old 08-18-2010, 03:36 PM
henny
JUNIOR BUILDER

Hello Curtis
I do have Daves book and was at one of his seminars a while ago. He does suggest a shorter IC than others do
I did the balancing act on a set of jack stands and it is 49% on the front and 51% on the back. However I think you have to take out the weight of the rear end since it is unsprung....not sure though
I put weights in the car for fuel and the driver. I even sat in a chair and put my feet on the scales so I could put that weight accordingly
I will measure off the rest of the car tomorrow for cog and the neutral line
thanks
Tom
I do like the 5 speed, have plenty of extra parts and trannies and even did some custom work on these