Ohio crankshaft

Old 04-01-2008, 04:53 PM
lmchevy
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default ohio crank

I have one of their 4.750 billet cranks and i-beam rods.The crank was a very nice piece with a very nice mirror finish and the rods don't look bad either.The machine work on the block was very good too.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:54 PM
jrthone
SENIOR BUILDER

I have just brought an Ohio Rociprocating assembly or my 632. My engine builder and i have checked over it with a fine tooth comb and everything seems to have been machined very well and particular.I will let you know how it runs but i think they are a very reliable crankshaft and conrod making division.All you can do is try.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:44 PM
mooresracing
SHOW GUEST

Great guys to deal with i brought a 540 short block from them 4 years ago and just brought a 582 rotating assy. no problems here great service and if you have a question they'll help you out unlike some other shops.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:53 AM
hink
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by smoore1
Great guys to deal with i brought a 540 short block from them 4 years ago and just brought a 582 rotating assy. no problems here great service and if you have a question they'll help you out unlike some other shops.
You missed this link I posted
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...hio+crankshaft
Old 04-15-2008, 06:06 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by hink
Originally Posted by smoore1
You missed this link I posted
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...hio+crankshaft
I have heard all that stuff...after I bought my stuff and I will say my experience with them was nothing like that. I didn't buy an assembled short block but I got one unassembled and everything checked out fine. I do know a guy, however, who bought one and had a problem with it....he called them and they had him bring it back and they replaced it and he has had no trouble with the new one...that was 2 or 3 years ago.

I will say this though...had I read THAT link before I bought mine...I for sure wouldn't have bought from them. That is VERY disturbing. Maybe I just got lucky...but I was refered to them by someone who knows Stan..so maybe that makes a difference? who knows.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:22 AM
hink
EXPERT BUILDER

We had 2 cranks come in the shop 2 years ago and both had taper in the journals and were under the low side and they claimed they polished them to size and after hearing that I can see why they came in that way.

So we don't use there stuff any more
Old 05-12-2008, 01:40 AM
N2Dirt
APPRENTICE

i've ran my 383 with the OC 44# 4340 crank 3 races now turning 7800rpm and everything seems to be golden.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:06 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I said the same thing a couple months ago...then I pulled mine out and pulled the pan just to check it out and I'm Glad I did. Main bearings were not too good. Found out the rotating assembly was out of balance and the main bores in the block were undersized...It was a new Merlin block and it had never been align honed. I did mic the crank before I put it together but only had plastigauge to check bearings. Nothing was hurt but had I not checked it it wouldn't have lasted much longer.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:46 PM
jrthone
SENIOR BUILDER

In saying that i will get mine double checked before i build my motor.Im running a 4.750 stroke ohio top sportsman crank in a 632.Excellent prices but i will dounle check to be safe and let you guys no.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:27 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by jrthone
In saying that i will get mine double checked before i build my motor.Im running a 4.750 stroke ohio top sportsman crank in a 632.Excellent prices but i will dounle check to be safe and let you guys no.
I would have everything measured and the balance checked. EVERYTHING.