sold my dragster now the motor went south

Old 06-23-2013, 10:38 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bjuice
Originally Posted by Tod74
I once had a lifter break after only 20 passes....trashed the block and lost the whole motor. They were brand new.
Broke a roller tip off on the 511ci in the 67 camaro in vids. Wiped out cam lobe broke bent push Rod which fell out . The funny thing the engine did not pop or skip. It just went major slug. Still ran a 6.50 but not that seat of pants power it had before.

My cousin broke a lifter on his 800ci FULTON motor last year. Did $5,500 in damage/repair cost and he did not hurt any major parts like crank,block etc..he did have a spot they had to fix on one of the heads.
That's how mine did. Ran ok just slowed down. The car ran 6.50 with that motor(454) normally, but this day it was running 6.70's and kept getting slower all day. It was extremely hot that day, so I blamed it on the heat....until it lost the cylinder and started knocking. My inexperience cost me that day. Slowing down suddenly should have been a red flag.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:21 AM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

I had a new TCI transmission break on the 4th run. It was like the car went into neutral at the end of the run. No drive at all, stopped on the return road and had to tow it to the pit. Engine ran fine, no transmission power. It turned out to be front pump, but TCI wanted me to ship it to them. Then they would see what had happened. I told them that there were reputable transmission people in my area (J.W. Transmissions 1 mile from house) that could tell them what went bad. They were insinuating that I had blown the engine and it took out the tranny. When I got it repaired I told them it was their part that had failed and I would not recommend them again because of their lack of service and customer support. I will never buy from them again. No matter how good a price they have, I will look elsewhere. So, I applaud you taking the high road even though you didn't need to go that route.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:08 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

What goes around comes around. You will benefit greatly from this act of integrity. Kudos.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:33 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Big Ray, it's good to know their is still some good folks out there. This one is a tough call and only you can make that decision. Selling a racing motor "as is" is a hard thing to warranty.
this one is your call and I applaude you for helping the guy out.
I have a friend right now dealing with a messed up motor ( 706) that was suppose to be fresh. He broke a lifter ( which happens) but the motor has 8 cracked pistons (in the wrist pin area) and the worst part about it is the crank is still hitting the block. This motor came from one of the biggest names engine builders that there is.

The only complete motor I've ever sold was a really nice 548. I kept in contact with the guy (he was from PA. ) until he made a few passes. I wanted to make sure it was what he expected it to be. He was really happy with the motor and said it was faster than his 565 that he just hurt.
I had the motor built from scratch and all brand new parts, but it broke a lifter shortly after it was build. I had it in the shop warming it up to check the valves and I heard a slight squealin noise. I looked into the motor and saw several lobes on the cam messed up. All I had to replace was cam and lifters so I got lucky on that one.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:30 AM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

You are a good friend in this equation Ray... your respect & reputation is of a higher currency...
Old 06-27-2013, 05:11 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

ok heres where you guys are discriminating aginst the south. why couldn't the engine go north, west or east. why does it have to go south. im pissed.im gonna sue!!!lol
Old 06-27-2013, 06:03 AM
bigray
DYNO OPERATOR

hahahaha, well I guess the motor really did go North, I live in Oklahoma, and he lives in N.D. L.O.L.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:04 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

thou I have said that all my life ive never understood how or where that saying started. I would reall like to know...lol