Engine Rebuilding

Old 10-01-2009, 10:56 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Well said Tod.

I agree with both actually - resident guru and our mod, they both made some valid points as did you.

On a side note:
With all this talk about 550's vs 470's on skinny tires etc> and even though I'm usually one of the fastest footbrake cars at my track....

Suddenly I feel OH so slow :shock:
Old 10-02-2009, 03:27 AM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by DirkaDirka
Originally Posted by lively
....{you talking about 500 to 700 assembly fee}-----------------that price won't touch any good shop in my area as far as assembly goes--
i build my own engines and have had some high revving small blocks over 450 horse--i have not built a 20,000 engine but if i had the time i would still try to do my own[ i am just funny that way 8) ]
i think if someone wants to learn -you have to learn somewhere and sometime--all these other engine builders started somewhere :? :? --they just did not wake up and pow--i can build :twisted: :twisted: !!!

sorry guys but i have to go back to the old basics-[money don't buy everything -sometimes hot rods are built at HOME]

LIVELY
I am with him. You can call it being stubborn but I am going to attempt to build the engine for the Stang myself. Im trying to get it into the 9 sec 1/4mi bracket.
Well Dirka I hope you plan to put a Chevy in it then. :lol:
Old 10-02-2009, 04:04 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

I've been wrestling with that question myself. My 840hp ReherMorrison 522 has just over 300 passes on it now with nothing but oil changes every 30-40 passes and valve checks/adjustments every 20 or so, and will get freshened this winter. Still runs the same as it did when I bought it used 225 passes ago. I've built a number of small & bigblock race engines and have the know-how and tools to do it properly, but I'm seriously considering sending it back to RM for the freshen. I probably wouldn't have run it this long if I'd built it myself without checking the bottom end and replacing lifters & springs which are on borrowed time regardless.
Sooo, if I can swing it, it'll go back to them.
Johnny
Old 10-02-2009, 04:07 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by johnracer
I've been wrestling with that question myself. My 840hp ReherMorrison 522 has just over 300 passes on it now with nothing but oil changes every 30-40 passes and valve checks/adjustments every 20 or so, and will get freshened this winter. Still runs the same as it did when I bought it used 225 passes ago. I've built a number of small & bigblock race engines and have the know-how and tools to do it properly, but I'm seriously considering sending it back to RM for the freshen. I probably wouldn't have run it this long if I'd built it myself without checking the bottom end and replacing lifters & springs which are on borrowed time regardless.
Sooo, if I can swing it, it'll go back to them.
Johnny
All 1/4 mile passes by the way, roughly half at wfo in the mid 8's and half on the stop in SG........
Old 10-02-2009, 05:35 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I think bascially it comes down to this ..

Tools .. if you have the right tools (I do not have all them now) so thats another reason I choice to send it to someone else.

Money .. if you have the extra money to have someone do it, I plan for it usually every winter, this year I am not planning to have it done as I raced very little this year (100 passes) Next year will be the real test to see what it can do with 350 or so 1/4 mile passes on it.

I was once told by a old school engine builder, if it has good oil pressure, and its not smoking .. why replace any parts in the bottom end. New lifters and springs and race it !! He claimed he had took near perfect used parts out only to see new parts break (we've all seen it) this is why he does what he does ..

FYI My engine isnt a 20k engine either just runs like one :lol:
Old 10-02-2009, 06:00 AM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

Shoot my wife build's mine :!: :!: :shock: :shock:

''JUST MY TWO CENT'S WORTH''
Old 10-02-2009, 06:09 AM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

If RM, Nyes, Musi, etc. had shops in Canada, it would be an easy choice for me. I would send it out to one of them to be refreshed. My big problem is I have to trust someone elses word on who is good.
There is one guy who was recommended to me. He builds the engines for Ashley Bart's blown alcohol dragster. I would think he could do a good job of putting my engine together.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:12 AM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by mopar1968
Shoot my wife build's mine :!: :!: :shock: :shock:

Hey Mark how much does she charge you and how much would she charge a friend? :lol: :lol:
Old 10-02-2009, 06:15 AM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

She work's cheap, She is short doesn't require a engine stand :!: :!: :shock: :shock:

Old 10-02-2009, 07:01 AM
itsabird
RACING JUNKIE

some good point's on both side's. the controling factor,s would be skill and ability, and having access to the proper tool's. as for cost, sometimes a small investment now, can save you a lot more long term, so when in doubt send it out. :wink:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -