Milky oil and alcohol

Old 08-23-2011, 06:32 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by kod99
Originally Posted by shawnp
Updates?
Sorry I am a little late with updates.

2 runs Sunday at 90 degrees F and 6000' DA.

Run #1
Nozzles: 39
Pill: 90

Left on the foot brake so ET was not great. 8.43

Sprayed oil out of vacuum pump breather again.
Changed oil after run. Very milky. Far worse than with the 41 nozzles and 88 pill.

Run #2
Pill: 95

Car ran 8.20

Drained breather - oil was still very milky. I had to cut the top off of a water bottle to drain the breather. The knife was very sharp. I did contemplate cutting my wrists! LOL

One more race weekend coming up Sept 2 - 4.
I am thinking of putting on a crab and switching to gas for that weekend and see if there are any issues with oil spray.

I don't know how much leaner I should go on the methanol.
I would go no leaner, there has to be air sucking or a restriction, did you have your data logger hooked up ?
Old 08-23-2011, 08:09 AM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by hammertime
Updates?

Run #1

Changed oil after run. Very milky. Far worse than with the 41 nozzles and 88 pill.

Run #2

Car ran 8.20

Drained breather - oil was still very milky. I had to cut the top off of a water bottle to drain the breather. The knife was very sharp. I did contemplate cutting my wrists! LOL

I am thinking of putting on a crab and switching to gas for that weekend and see if there are any issues with oil spray.

I would go no leaner, there has to be air sucking or a restriction, did you have your data logger hooked up ?
I had it hooked up but I haven't had a chance to view the data yet. Damn work gets in the way. I don't monitor the crankcase pressure with the data logger though. Just RPM, DS RPM, fuel pressure, G forces and voltage.
The dash fuel pressure gauge during the run went to 70 psi, which I think should be ok.
I can't help but think there is an internal problem with this engine. Valve timing, head gasket, intake gasket, cylinder wall damage, piston or ring damage. It is building way too much crankcase pressure.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:39 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Have you done a compression check on it ?

Its surely not normal, and even worse you have a vacuum pump.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:09 PM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default ?

Updates?

Run #1

Run #2

Car ran 8.20

I had it hooked up but I haven't had a chance to view the data yet. Damn work gets in the way. I don't monitor the crankcase pressure with the data logger though. Just RPM, DS RPM, fuel pressure, G forces and voltage.
The dash fuel pressure gauge during the run went to 70 psi, which I think should be ok.
I can't help but think there is an internal problem with this engine. Valve timing, head gasket, intake gasket, cylinder wall damage, piston or ring damage. It is building way too much crankcase pressure.
You OBVIOUSLY have a Leak~Down Tester,.........?USE it,On the MOTOR!!!!!
Later
G 8)
Old 08-24-2011, 04:59 AM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

Gonna do a compression test and a cold and hot leakdown test on Friday. I talked to my engine builder and he can't figure it out either. He has been building high HP drag race engines for a long time and he said the only time he has problems is with alcohol engines.
If the compression and leakdown tests indicate the motor is in good shape, I will put on a carb and regulator and run race gas on the long weekend.

I have a question.
What would an engine builder do differently if he was building an engine for alcohol as opposed to building and engine for race gas?
Couldn't you run either fuel in the same engine? I mean, the configuration may not be optimum for both fuels, but I would think the engine would run reasonably on either one. Am I correct?
Old 08-24-2011, 05:40 AM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

Here are the pics of the oil after the second run last Sunday. It was changed before the run.
This was with 39 nozzles and 95 pill.

http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/b...n/Milky%20oil/
Old 08-24-2011, 06:26 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Gonna do a compression test and a cold and hot leakdown test on Friday. I talked to my engine builder and he can't figure it out either. He has been building high HP drag race engines for a long time and he said the only time he has problems is with alcohol engines.
If the compression and leakdown tests indicate the motor is in good shape, I will put on a carb and regulator and run race gas on the long weekend.

I have a question.
What would an engine builder do differently if he was building an engine for alcohol as opposed to building and engine for race gas?
Couldn't you run either fuel in the same engine? I mean, the configuration may not be optimum for both fuels, but I would think the engine would run reasonably on either one. Am I correct?
A good engine builder changes which cam he runs on alky and gas. But you can run gas either way, sometimes a alky engine will cause a pop/miss and require a cam change.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:30 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Here are the pics of the oil after the second run last Sunday. It was changed before the run.

WOW ... thats horrible, as I thought its way rich and that oil proves it

I'm thinking you'll find a problem with either way to much cranking compression or a major leak down when hot.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:36 AM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

WOW ... thats horrible, as I thought its way rich and that oil proves it

I'm thinking you'll find a problem with either way to much cranking compression or a major leak down when hot.
I agree David. There is alcohol getting into the oil. But with 39 nozzles and 95 pill, I am thinking it's not the injection system that is the problem. I am going to check to make sure all 8 cylinders are firing and that one isn't dead and just loading up with raw fuel.
The milking of the oil is a concern but what really puzzles me is the high crankcase pressure. 24 psi seems excessive to me. If there was raw fuel dumping into the oil pan and flashing off in the hot oil, it may explain the crankcase pressure. What do you guys think?
Old 08-24-2011, 07:57 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

That's what I meant. You are not buring off the amount of fuel that was going thru that motor. It has to go someplace and into the pan is the only place to go. It will increase the crank pressure and explain why it is pushing to get out thru the catch can. On the plus side, your oil pan and intake must be sealed very well if it is not trying to push oil out in those 2 places.

On the cam selection, an alky motor will always want to have more exhaust duration to run as efficient as a gas motor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -